Full Time Temporary
Details: $14 per hour
120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Seasonal Hosting Operations Adviser's broad responsibilities are to assist in the daily management and customer service of Host Family screening and orientation. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: screening of hosted student and Host Family applications to ensure adherence to AFS-USA’s acceptance criteria, AFS International standards, Department of State regulations, and CSIET standards; communication with AFS Partner Countries regarding missing or questionable content in student applications and status of student acceptance and placements; maintaining accurate data entry and updates in the Global Link database and other Hosting Program administrative tasks as required.
Host Family Application Management
- Review submitted Host Family applications and determine eligibility based on AFS-USA standards, Department of State, and CSIET regulations.
- Follow up on questionable or incomplete content with families, Compliance Staff, Team Development Specialists, and Support Staff when necessary.
- Upload and process received forms to the Global Link database.
- Review and process Host Family paperwork, including interview and Host Family reference forms using the Global Link database.
- Contact missing Host Family references via email and/or phone.
- Update Host Family acceptance status in a timely fashion with the help of existing reports.
- Transfer fully screened host family applications to partners to allow participants to communicate with their host families.
- Assist with the collection of Host Family Orientations (HFO).
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensure that AFS-USA, AFS International, state and local guidelines, US Department of State regulations, and CSIET standards are being followed.
- Serve as a member of the Hosting Operations Team, attend staff meetings, training's, and perform other duties as required.
- Remain well-informed about all AFS-USA programs, especially any hosting program changes.
- Provide timely, professional, and accurate responses or information to Host Families, AFS Partner countries, and staff in other departments on Hosting Operations Department procedures, while adhering to contact standards.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Ideal candidates have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and will possess the following knowledge/ skills/ experience:
- Administrative experience.
- Computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, database, and Internet applications. (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Google Docs)
- Track record of working collaboratively to achieve results and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Both written and over the phone customer service skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under multiple deadlines.
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work in a fast paced environment.
- Commitment to the mission and principles of AFS Intercultural Programs.
The Seasonal Hosting Operations Adviser will work out of the AFS-USA office in New York, NY. The Hosting Operations Department is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. A typical work day falls within these hours, although a Seasonal Hosting Operations Adviser must be flexible to work outside these hours including evening and weekend work. There will be times when hours will have to be altered with seasonal fluctuations in workload, goals, and deadlines. Depending on work load, amount of hours in each day may vary. All hour alterations should be approved at least one week prior to actual date of change.
This is a seasonal position lasting up to six months. The applicant must be available for the entire six-month period.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Commuter Benefits and NY Sick Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.