Details: Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
One Palmer Square
Climate Central is seeking an energetic individual with at least 10 years of communications experience to join our unique climate science research and communications team. Top candidates will have a demonstrated capacity to work strategically and effectively with TV, radio, print, social and other digital media, and to oversee sophisticated web operations. The Communications Director, who will report to the Vice President for Programs, will set and guide strategy for all communications and collateral. In doing so, the Communications Director will work both to enhance media coverage and other communications about climate change, and also to articulate Climate Central’s mission to key audiences, the media, and the general public.
Climate Central is a respected non-profit organization that works to reach large and significant audiences using a wide variety of tools to help make climate personal and relevant. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides a network of more than 600 local TV meteorologists with data and broadcast-quality graphics about the linkages between local weather events and climate change; the program is expanding to include local journalists and news directors through Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Our work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on the U.S. coast, and pioneering a new generation of online tools, all designed to help bring climate change home. Our highly interdisciplinary staff have backgrounds in the sciences, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production, and other fields. Our non-partisan, non-advocacy approach is rare among climate groups and critical for our credibility and wide reach, particularly with the media.
- Provide strategic input into Climate Central’s overall external communications efforts
- Develop and implement communications plans around release of key reports and products
- Coordinate closely with our design, social media, and web production team to achieve timely completion of products
- Coordinate closely with our development staff on donor-facing materials
- Play a leadership role in managing an upcoming overhaul of Climate Central’s websites to improve their effectiveness and functionality for multiple audiences
- Manage development, distribution, and updating of all print and electronic organizational collateral including brochures, annual reports, e-newsletters, websites, and other materials
- Write and/or edit press releases and other materials
- Respond to media inquiries
- Design and execute strategies for expanding awareness and use of Climate Central materials by media outlets and other user groups
- Mentor and manage a team member responsible for Climate Central’s website administration and coordination
- Design and oversee implementation of streamlined strategies for tracking external use of Climate Central materials
- Design and implement tests of the effectiveness of various communications vehicles
- Assure consistent implementation of style guide and brand
- Ability to take scientific information and transform it into exciting and useful messages for key audiences, to identify effective distribution channels for reaching those audiences, and to successfully utilize those channels
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, including significant experience with data-heavy science topics for lay audiences
- Demonstrated capacity to oversee complex websites working with internal and external web developers; prior experience in managing a nonprofit website build or overhaul-with-relaunch a distinct plus
- Familiarity with climate change issues a distinct plus
- Creative thinker, analyst and problem-solver with good judgement and common sense
- Self-starter who enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- A highly collegial attitude and at least a modicum of a sense of humor is essential
Location: This position will be located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, N.J. We are also willing to consider options under which some work would be conducted remotely after an initial period of several months.
Diversity: Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; a writing sample of no more than three pages (may be an excerpt of a longer document) that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself; and contact information for three references familiar with your work to email@example.com with the exact subject line, “Communications Director” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.