Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Senior Program Manager to support the Joint West Africa Research Group (JWARG) in Monrovia, Liberia . HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to JWARG.
The incumbent is responsible for providing administrative project oversight in order to support the JWARG in Liberia. The incumbent will be working with multiple Department of Defense (DoD) organizations to implement its objective for detecting, responding and mitigating future infectious disease outbreaks in support of the JWARG mission. This includes developing capacity and capability through training and implementation of clinical studies.
The incumbent will manage local personnel, contracts, agreements and resources, as well as closely coordinating with JWARG team members, the US Government, host-country organizations, and international partners. The Senior Program Manager will also work closely with the JWARG Program Management Leads to develop and implement targeted projects and implementation plans to strengthen the overall JWARG program execution. The Senior Program Manager must be able to quickly assess complex problems, develop adaptable strategies, and work with internal and external partners to implement resolution.
The Senior Program Manager must learn quickly, demonstrate considerable judgment, perform well under pressure, act independently, and adapt easily to new challenges.
This position is based in Liberia, but may also require potential travel to other African study sites and the U.S. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services for the JWARG program.
- Provide senior level direction and oversight for the management of the JWARG activities in Liberia.
- Develop strong relationships with partners, both in the US and host-country, and foster a productive, supportive team culture to support JWARG projects.
- Facilitate discussions, decisions, and actions for cross-organizational groups that define requirements, identify issues, and help develop solutions
- Manage contracts to ensure clear expectations and timely, high-quality results. This includes developing agreements and modifications, reviewing invoices and performance, and working with sub-agreement organizations to adjust invoices or performance as needed.
- Identify operational issues and implement solutions as needed to ensure successful project implementation
- Work closely with the JWARG Program Managers to develop, execute, and manage program budgets, including review and approval of all project spending
- Provide periodic programmatic and financial reports to JWARG Program Management Leads and HJF International Accounting department
- Manage HJF fixed assets, including vehicles and research equipment
- Liaise with local research partners, host country government institutions and USG organizations on behalf of JWARG and HJF
- Organize program presentations and reports as needed
- Supervise in-country HJF personnel
Required Knowledge and Abilities: Demonstrated ability to implement dynamic cross-functional programs. Demonstrated experience implementing international initiatives. Experience leading international teams. Ability to facilitate discussions of complicated, multifaceted issues and clearly communicate the decisions, implications, and actions timely and succinctly. Ability to build mutual respect and cooperative relationships with partners, such as physicians and scientists. Ability to inspire action from groups or individuals not in direct chain of command. Ability to manage multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines. Ability to excel in fast-paced, changing, and challenging environments. Ability to recognize and creatively respond to trends and changes in the field. Skilled in public speaking, meeting facilitation and audience presentations. Strong written and oral communication skills. Supervisory experience.
Skills: Solid organizational and analytical skills. Experience managing budgets and contracts. Outstanding MS Office skills. Ability to quickly adapt to new technology and tools.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master's Degree; PhD preferred.
Minimum Experience: 6-10 years of research experience, including a minimum of 6 years of project or program management, preferably international project management.
Work Environment: Office, field setting; 10-15% travel schedule
Work Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Additional: US Citizenship required.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Minimum Education Required