Details: $15 per hour with adjustments to $17 after first week
1302 Southeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard
Forward Together is looking for dynamic canvassers to implement a new outreach program for our work in Portland. We are seeking ambitious and high-performing individuals who love to work with people, talk to community members, and have strong communication and leadership skills. The ideal candidate has experience in doing some type of direct work with the community and is comfortable with technology. If you are committed to social justice, eager to grow, and have stellar people skills, this position is for you. This is a unique opportunity to be an integral player at one of the leading reproductive justice and racial justice organizations in the country. Application deadline: Friday, August 10th
Who We Are
Forward Together is a multi-racial, multi-issue organization whose mission is to transform culture and policy to work for all families in Oregon. We build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of change makers to secure rights, recognition and resources for our families. We are women of color, immigrants, indigenous people, queer and TGNC folks of color who seek to build power and resources so we have self-determination over our bodies, our sexuality and family formation.
You would be working with a team of committed, enthusiastic and smart people who work hard, laugh easily and are eager to attract, develop and support leaders like yourself in advancing social justice.
Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org/programs/state-national-action/oregon/
Currently, Oregon is facing an anti-abortion ballot measure that would limit access to care for our families, and an anti-immigrant ballot measure that would put our families in danger and increase racial profiling. Canvassers will have conversations at the doors with community members, and turn our communities out to vote in November. This position requires attendance at daily canvass team meetings where training and staff development happens for Oregon’s next generation of leaders.
You’re perfect for this position if…
- You love connecting with people
- You are passionate about social justice and civic engagement
- You are committed to approaching political work in an intersectional way
- You are a strong and creative verbal communicator
- You implement feedback on your performance in a timely manner
- You are comfortable talking to strangers at the door
- You enjoy working outdoors
- Fully participate in the daily canvasser staff meetings
- Help foster a team-based environment
- Follow the script and work to meet weekly canvass goals
- Submit all paperwork in a timely manner
- Effectively use technology to track information
- Participate in and support Forward Together’s mission and events as needed
- Committed to Forward Together’s mission and social justice
- Previous door-to-door experience is a big plus, but not required
- Excellent people skills and a positive attitude
- Experience working on behalf of diverse and underserved populations preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong initiative and self-starter with excellent follow-through
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy, especially in data collection
- Ability to work well in teams and use direct communication to express needs
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Proficiency with Amazon tablets or similar technology
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English
- Familiarity with Portland is a plus
- Ability to drive with valid Oregon driver’s license and proof of insurance coverage meeting state requirements is strongly preferred but not required
Physical demands for this position include frequent standing, walking and face-to-face communication with co-workers, volunteers, and members of the community. This position requires the ability to walk long distances for up to 4 hours outdoors in all types of weather. This position requires the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle if driving self to and from work each day.
People of color, indigenous people, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
Plus earned paid sick days and driving reimbursement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish is a plus, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out the application form at https://goo.gl/forms/byyucfVxj39Mn92f2
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.