Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra) is a Boston-based community development corporation with a legacy of excellence in affordable housing, economic development and tenant services. Nuestra aims to increase the social and economic power of individuals and families in its community through education, economic development and resident programming that foster a safe, vibrant and culturally diverse community with affordable housing. Nuestra seeks to create communities of opportunity and equity, working together with community partners and neighbors across Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and other Boston neighborhoods,
Nuestra Comunidad’s community engagement team sustains and builds a network of neighbors and community partners actively working to make our neighborhoods into communities of opportunity and equity. The team manages programs designed by community members to address identified challenges and goals, including public safety, resources for men of color and building the capacity of local small businesses including artists. The community engagement work includes advocacy for antic-displacement public polices and for real estate development projects that will prevent gentrification and create housing and economic opportunity for local residents. Leadership development is an important part of the community engagement work.
Position Summary Description
The Community Organizer coordinates community engagement efforts. A first priority is to support key neighborhood organizations supported by Nuestra Comunidad including an organization of Latino resident leaders in Roxbury, a Black & Latino male engagement network and the Dudley Square Neighborhood Association. In addition, the Community Engagement Manager supports Nuestra’s real estate development projects as they engage residents in planning and engagement with construction; community safety organizing along Blue Hill Avenue led by a network of block watch and neighborhood association leaders; civic engagement through participation in the RoxVote coalition and an annual legislative briefing day for elected officials; and other as-needed community support for all of Nuestra CDC’s initiatives. This position will also include some special events coordination and/or support. The Community Engagement Manager will work collaboratively with the resident service staff and property management team to address neighborhood related concerns that impact community safety and quality of life issues around our properties, with a specific role of building relationships with other neighborhood association groups, community building organizations, city, state and federal agencies, as well as city, state and federal elected officials.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
· Engage residents of color, immigrants and low to moderate-income residents from the Roxbury and Grove Hall area, including tenants at our properties, in networking, leadership development and advocacy.
· Support an existing organization of Latino residents to serve as a more powerful voice for Roxbury and Grove Hall Latinos in neighborhood and citywide civic life.
· Train residents in facilitative leadership through hands-on small group dinner meetings known as NeighborCircles.
· Strengthen Nuestra’s system of Spanish-language communications.
· Assist and support residents living in Dudley Square through building the Dudley Square Neighborhood Association.
· Support the Male Engagement Network (MEN) program focused on building leadership of core leadership group in advocating for needed programs and resources for Black & Latino men in our communities.
· Community outreach for Nuestra real estate development projects in Roxbury and Mattapan.
· Help with the overall planning and organization of Nuestra’s Annual Cleanest Street Contest, and other meetings and events.
· Maintain a relationship with Boston Police, community law enforcement, elected officials and neighborhood community organizations.
· Supervise volunteers and interns.
· Work closely with Executive Director and Vice President for Resident Services.
· Work closely with Real Estate Development Project Managers to gain support for development projects.
Work Requirements and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree or higher preferred.
· Bi-lingual English/Spanish skills required.
· Computer literate including facility with Excel.
· Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse people that foster hope and community.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people in a respectful and helpful manner.
· Experienced communicator (written, verbally and informally).
· Familiar with agencies and organizations within the communities of Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan.
· Familiarity with communities served by Nuestra CDC.
· Flexible with work style, and hours.
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in community organizing or community planning.
· Passion for community development, underserved populations overcoming injustice.
· Pragmatic conflict management skills.
· Some supervisory experience in volunteer engagement.
· Attending various meetings or trainings.
· Complying with departmental policies, paperwork requirements, communication follow up etc.
The position involves sitting, standing, lifting, looking at a computer screen, phone work etc. It involves attending community meetings, knocking on doors, visiting neighbors in their homes and staffing special events. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra) is a Boston-based community development corporation with a legacy of excellence in affordable housing, economic development and tenant services. Nuestra aims to…
Bilingual English and Spanish skills required.
Bilingual English and Spanish skills required.