Position Summary: The Medical Operations Manager, under the guidance of the Medical Director, aligns the medical department with the overall Organization's strategic plan. Directs the work that the medical department team does focusing on achieving the greatest impact. Responsible for managing the daily operations of Best Friends Veterinary Clinic and satellite areas to best utilize resources and meet animal care delivery objectives. Maintains medical department budget, safety policies and operational plans for delivering exemplary veterinary services to sanctuary (and additional) animals as required.
- Provide strategic guidance and managerial oversight to the medical department team.
- Lead and manage clinic and sanctuary satellite team leads/staff: interviewing and selection of new hires; provide advancement and training opportunities for staff; develop and coach team leads on operation and management skills, identify and resolve employee relations and performance issues; establish and maintain a professional work environment while providing appropriate leadership and direction; promote positive morale, creativity and teamwork among staff; evaluate employee performance and set clear goals and expectations; prioritize, assign, and review work assignments.
- Oversee implementation of the onboarding process for new hires in the medical department.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the medical director to identify, create and implement opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures for the clinic and satellite operation(s).
- Act as a positive change agent and lead by example when implementing current, updated, or new policies and procedures as directed by the Medical Director/Director of Animal Care/Management.
- Maintain regular and professional communication with the Director of Animal Care, Medical Director, veterinarians & staff members, other Sanctuary Departments and clients of the clinic as applicable in regards to policy, procedures or daily operational issues.
- In partnership with the Medical Director, prepare and manage the operational budget and metrics for the clinic, including forecasting, inventory management and control, and labor management and cost control.
- Works in conjunction with the Medical Director to interface with other departments and the public regarding specialized requests for clinic services and facilitates the processing of these requests.
- Develop and maintain cross departmental collaborations to meet the needs of the animals and the staff. This includes but is not limited to coordinating with the management teams in the animal care departments to improve medical related processes, working with Visitors and Volunteers to develop new opportunities for volunteers and interns, working with our cat outreach programs to achieve greatest impact and increase quality of care, etc.
- Identify, track and implement opportunities, strategies and tactics for improving client and employee satisfaction.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Assist veterinary technician staff as necessary and advise in challenging medical/surgical situations.
- Oversee the growth of skills and continuing education resources of all veterinary technicians at the sanctuary.
- Provide input to help develop progressive programs that engage the general public, volunteers, and staff to promote the hospital and quality animal care.
- Determine and evaluate new equipment needs in conjunction with the Medical Director. Responsible for maintenance and repair of equipment and facility.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the Best Friends hospital and satellite areas and maximize client's impression of facilities and services.
- Provides financial and historic operational statistics by way of research and reporting as needed by the clinic and other departments/divisions.
- Keep abreast of concerns and trends in the animal welfare movement / shelter medicine and serve as one of the key representatives of the medical department as work schedule allows or appoint and mentor appropriate staff to serve as a representative re: public presentations, email correspondence, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- This is a leadership position requiring 3 or more years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, with special emphasis on personnel and operational management and leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in team building and staff development preferred.
- Must be problem solving, solutions oriented; creative and innovative with the ability and comfort to change directions quickly and as needed.
- Ability to facilitate group processes as well as develop and influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of development, each with a unique timeline
- Experience developing and implementing plans toward organizational goals, keeping in mind the big picture, while ensuring departmental efforts are aligned and in support.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues and makes decisions with the mission of Best Friends in mind at all times, especially in challenging situations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google mail, Avimark and Shelter Luv (or the ability to learn)
- Must be flexible and willing to work weekends when necessary.
- Valid Driver's License with access to transportation to travel on organization business. Access to driving records will be needed for insurance purposes
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to perform full range of movement: stretching, bending, squatting, climbing, lifting up to 50 pounds, etc.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion
- Ability to travel via various forms of public transportation for organization events including conferences, media events, etc.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegan food
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.