Details: Based on experience
The editor is part of a 10-person communications team and is responsible for upholding Child Trends’ quality standards that apply to written materials (i.e., style guide compliance, clarity of ideas). This position reports to the editorial director and serves as a liaison between researchers and the communications team regarding public-facing products. The editor is someone with a solid understanding of research and communications, with 2-3 years of experience in social science and/or research settings. This position is a critical guardian of Child Trends’ reputation as an independent nonpartisan organization that produces high-quality research and products.
The position is based in Bethesda, Maryland, three blocks from the Metro station. Child Trends is a friendly, creative, and team-based work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit research reports and briefs, as well as proposals, factsheets, e-news and news release items, web copy, and other items as needed.
- Evaluate and provide feedback on structure, narrative flow, and readability, recommending structure and style changes to improve effective communication of research.
- Advise researchers on the Child Trends style guide and update the guide as needed.
- Support the creation and delivery of guides, templates, and trainings to improve staff members’ writing skills.
- Apply an understanding of the needs and perspectives of Child Trends’ core audiences (policy, research, philanthropic, media, and layperson) to the organization’s written products.
- Participate in communications team weekly meetings, and monthly strategy meetings.
Experience, Education, Skills Requirements:
- 2 to 3 years of experience as an editor in a policy- or research-oriented environment.
- Must be able to cultivate close working relationships with researchers and communications team members.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in social science, English, or related discipline.
- Knowledge of or experience in the child and youth research field and/or social sciences a plus.
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Shows excellent project and time management skills, and an ability to meet deadlines and perform well under competing deadlines and time constraints.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft products (especially Word and Outlook); preferable experience with project management applications
Child Trends offers an excellent benefits package, flexible working arrangements, and a salary that is commensurate with experience, in the range of $66,000.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the “apply” link to submit an application. Please combine cover letter and resume into one document before uploading. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!