Room to Read seeks a senior security consultant for our Pakistan Literacy Project, which strives to support children in early grades to build a habit of reading. The consultant will advise on proper precautions to ensure the safety and security of project staff, mitigate organizational liability and risk to personnel and assets, and facilitate the overall success of the project. The ideal consultant is a well-rounded security expert who understands the complexities of security management in a non-profit and overseas setting, with expertise in Pakistan.
It is anticipated the work will be conducted in Pakistan. The project location is not yet determined but anticipated to be either Karachi or Lahore. The consultant will report to the Director of Global Program Operations, who is based in San Francisco. The anticipated level of effort is approximately 20 days between July – September 2019.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct a detailed security review and risk assessment of proposed project activities in Pakistan and provide technical security input to mitigate safety and security concerns. The assessment should include a review of safety and security policies and practices of similar non-governmental organizations operating in Pakistan. Provide written report of findings.
- Develop appropriate safety and security procedures for Pakistan to guide project implementation in lines with best practices
- Review policies and practices reviewed from other international non-profit organizations working in Pakistan
- Develop safety and security briefings to be given to individuals traveling to Pakistan for work on the project.
- Address project leadership’s safety/security inquiries and needs
- Research and develop operational emergency preparedness plan of action for Pakistan
- Safety and security assessment that includes:
- Analysis of risks for Room to Read programs and operations within Pakistan broadly, and specific to our proposed locations of implementation
- Recommended procedures related to staff movement, program implementation and other.
- Examine existing Room to Read emergency policy providers (e.g. insurance providers for emergency evacuations) for suitability and recommend alternatives if deemed necessary.
Draft and final assessments should be submitted electronically to the Director of Global Operations, Room to Read.
- Minimum ten years of strong humanitarian operations management experience, with significant or total responsibility for safety and security risk management, or an equivalent combination of INGO, public and private sector safety and security experience
- Extensive field experience in Pakistan.
- Extensive international field experience in multiple regions and a demonstrated understanding of operating in complex and insecure work environments across conflict, post-conflict, development and stable contexts. Ability to adapt security strategies to varying international contexts.
- Aptitude in applying a holistic safety and security risk management approach including integration into strategic planning, risk identification and risk mitigation tactics.
- Strong acumen in developing security and risk assessments, safety and security policies, procedures, and trainings.
- A keen understanding of risk and threat analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Global Office - Remote - United States
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled