47-10 Austell Place
C4Q Mission and Vision
C4Q is a social enterprise nonprofit that creates pathways out of poverty through technology. We believe that people from every community and background—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future. It is our mission to increase economic opportunity and transform the world’s most diverse community into a leading hub for innovation and entrepreneurship. Our graduates are working at leading companies such as Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, Jet, and JPMorgan Chase.
We are supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Google for Entrepreneurs, Salesforce, Guggenheim Partners, and BlackRock. Our volunteers include leading technologists and experts from companies such as Google, Facebook and LinkedIn. Diversity of experiences, perspectives, skills, and cultures is core to our mission and team.
Creating the Foundations for National Impact
C4Q is a rapidly growing organization that’s scaling to make a national impact. Founded in 2011, we have doubled in budget and staff each year over the past several years. We are currently a team of 25 and anticipate expanding our team to 40 this year. We are creating a non-traditional financing model which leverages social impact/program related investments and earned revenue strategies that align program performance with financial results. We plan to rapidly scale our operations, personnel and funding to create the foundations for national expansion and more broadly serve communities and cities across America.
As C4Q shifts into a social enterprise, we are in an exciting high growth phase and are looking to grow our Development team and capacity to raise critical public and private funds. C4Q seeks an experienced, skilled and highly effective Head of Government Affairs to join and help build its growing Development team. The Head of Government Affairs is a new position and will help lead and execute the strategy for cultivating and stewarding C4Q’s relationships with city, state, and federal government officials as well as government agencies to advance strategic public initiatives that further our mission as well as secure discretionary support and resources. Current initiatives include collaborations with the New York City Economic Development Corporation for Futureworks NYC, which supports the growth of advanced manufacturing, and the Long Island City waterfront development project which will create a new mixed-use neighborhood for innovation. This position reports to the Managing Director of Development and works closely with other organizational leaders and managers including the CEO, the Director of Finance and community engagement and volunteer managers.
At C4Q we are committed to our alumni beyond helping them find their first jobs; we are committed to them throughout their careers. As a member of the Fellow and Partner Success team, the Career Advancement Manager supports every Fellow throughout his/her initial job search and during periods of career transition post-graduation. The Career Advancement Manager drives alumni job retention success within our community.
The Career Advancement Manager will:
- Equip Fellows with the tools to land a fulfilling job as a developer by coaching them on core job search skills including interviewing, portfolio buildout, resume preparation, negotiation, and networking best practices
- Build trust and confidence with our Fellows and alumni such that they are comfortable with receiving direct and actionable feedback
- Advise Fellows on the state of the job market, setting expectations around what to expect during the job search
- Serve as a resource for Fellows and alumni as their job search needs arise, specifically around support for interview prep and job offer decisions; managing their job search pipeline from career prospect to close; managing promotions and career advancement opportunities
- Work with Community Manager as needed to leverage volunteer resources throughout the Fellows’ job search process
- Work with Fellows and alumni to help them leverage their existing networks, and build new relationships in order to gain access to their own job opportunities and advance in their careers
- Add value to the Access Code Program by synthesizing trends and providing forward-looking recommendations about technical and non-technical curriculum to continually improve job placement outcomes and create value in alumni job arcs
- Ensure proper communication, and compliance of Pay It Forward commitments with Fellows
Qualifications & Competencies:
- 3-5+ years professional experience
- 1+ years demonstrated success in a role counseling people throughout their job search and career transitions
- Excellent project management skills
- Exceptional communication - interpersonal, online, and verbal
- Able to build trust and connection quickly
- Strong empathy for the fellows and desire to see them succeed
- Passion for our mission, and strong desire to see non-traditional talent succeed in the workforce
- Experience working in the technology industry preferred
Minimum Education Required