Details: Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
521 West 145th Street
The STEM Program Coordinator will be dedicated to working with designated site-based staff to develop and implement project-based activities that promote proficiency in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines. This will include developing strategies to optimize stem-focused homework support, tutoring and enrichment activities that strengthen participant confidence in these disciplines and develop critical thinking skills. In addition to STEM activities, the Coordinator will lead in the planning and implementation of other club-wide STEM-focused activities as well as provide support for other activities that promote academic success, good health and wellness and strong character and leadership behaviors.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities)
- Lead in planning, train-the-trainer activities and some facilitation of STEM-focused initiatives, which include Boys & Girls Club of America’s Project Learn, Power Hour, DIY STEM, Summer Brain Gain
- Utilize curriculum resources effectively to develop STEM programming that supports the success of all members.
- Train and manage staff & volunteers on best practices and programming expectations.
- Lead in creating and maintaining a culture where STEM/inquiry-based learning is supported and valued
- Train and support staff as they assess individual member’s interests and proficiency in STEM subjects and plan activities that help to encourage and expose members to STEM
- Create academic accountability systems that promote member’s own personal education responsibility
- Develop effective activity centers for diverse learners
- Ensure compliance with BGCHarlem policy and procedures, maintain a clean and safe environment of assigned program area.
- Conduct safety checks of assigned program area, accurately tracking and monitoring the use of all equipment and supplies
- Ensure a team-based work environment by communicating effectively and positively with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and other community partners
- Assist in the planning of club programming schedule
- Make recommendations regarding members’ needs, program ideas and facility needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Holds a minimum Bachelor’s Degree in education, applied science or social sciences.
- Demonstrated experience working with youth
- Demonstrated experience in instruction and classroom management
- Proficient in basic computer skills and use of basic Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word and Excel
· This position requires the ability for employees to stand
· It may also be required to walk for long periods of time
Level of Language Proficiency
Speaking proficiency in Spanish
Minimum Education Required