Educate girls. Change the world.
Are you an adventurous person interested in educating India’s future change makers?
Yuwa India is seeking a passionate individuals for teaching positions at Yuwa School in Ranchi District, Jharkhand. Teachers will get a professionally challenging and rewarding experience by developing future leaders among rural girls.
Responsibilities will include teaching students in standards 5 – 12 from an English curriculum, designing creative lesson plans, developing curriculum, participating in regular teacher training workshops, and contributing to a positive and energetic learning environment. Yuwa School’s atmosphere is one of collaboration, respect, and mutual learning.
Candidates must be excited by the mission of creating a low-cost, world-class educational experience for girls in villages from lower caste and tribal backgrounds.
We are currently hiring the positions of Science Teacher (High School), and English Teacher (Middle School) and Math/Social Science Teacher (Middle School).
Yuwa is an internationally acclaimed non-governmental organization that uses soccer and education to put girls in charge of their own futures. Yuwa is registered as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in the USA and as a Trust in India. Yuwa is based in villages in the Ranchi district of Jharkhand, where girls are especially at risk of dropping out of school, child marriage, gender-related violence, and human trafficking. Through the creation of football (soccer) teams, girls gain leadership skills and confidence, continue their education, and are less likely to be forced into child marriage. Here, teamwork is a powerful force to promote health, education and improved livelihoods among the most important agents of change—young women.
Watch Yuwa girls speaking at TEDx here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fZphncH1o&feature=youtu.be&t=5m30s and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAvPwi4zuY. Almost all of Yuwa’s external representation is done by the girls themselves.
Yuwa has been featured in Al-Jazeera, Washington Post, Huffington Post, Bloomberg Businessweek, BBC, Sports Illustrated, Hindustan Times, Times of India, ABC News, and other media in India and internationally. Recent awards include:
- 2017 Microsoft "People of Action"
- 2016 India Today Digital Trailblazers Award
- 2015 Cequin WOWmen Award Celebrating Men for Women
- 2014 FIFA Football for Hope Awardee
- 2013 Barclay’s Beyond Sport “Sport for Social Inclusion” Winner
- 2013 Times Now Amazing Indians Award (category: Indian at Heart)
- Yahoo India “12 Unsung Heroes of 2012”
- 2012 NDTV Spirit of Sport Award, (“Best Promotion of Education through Sport”)
- 2012 Ashoka Changemakers award (all-Asia winner) for Innovative Secondary Education for Skills Enhancement (ISESE)
- 2011 Nike Gamechangers Award
About Yuwa School
Yuwa School for Girls began in June 2015 in Hutup village, Jharkhand. The vision of our school is: Every girl’s future in her own hands. Our mission is to enable students to reach their full academic potential, develop critical and creative thinking skills, and become compassionate, empowered leaders in their communities.
Our current campus supports 94 students and 9 full-time teachers. The school will run on this campus until 2020, when building of our permanent and residential campus will be completed.
Teacher responsibilities will include:
- Teaching students in standards 5 – 12
- Developing curriculum
- Designing creative lesson plans
- Regular self-assessment in order to continuously improve quality of teaching
- Participating in regular teacher training workshops at Yuwa
- Engaging with students' parents on a regular basis
- Contributing to a positive and energetic learning environment
- Leading small tuition sessions for Yuwa students who need extra help
Open Positions for 2019 – 2020 School Year
- Science Teacher: This teacher will rotate to 5 different classes (Standards 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12) on a daily basis and teach biology, chemistry, and physics in a challenging, dynamic way that applies the material to everyday life. This person should feel passionate about Science and have a demonstrated background in the subject. Classes are very small (maximum 10 students in a single class), so lessons should be interactive and personalized. NIOS texts and supplementary texts will be used as a curriculum guideline—but teachers have freedom to introduce their own materials.
- Math and Social Science Teacher: This teacher will rotate to 3 different classes (Standards 5, 6, and 7) on a daily basis to teach Math and Social Science (which includes geography, civics, and history) in a way that promotes critical thinking and creativity. This person should feel passionate about working with students and enjoy creating engaging lesson plans. Classes are very small (maximum 12 students in a single class), so lessons should be interactive and personalized. CBSE texts and supplementary texts will be used as a curriculum guideline—but teachers have freedom to introduce their own materials.
- English Teacher: This teacher will rotate to 4 different classes (Standards 5, 6, 7, and 8) on a daily basis and teach English and Literature in a challenging, dynamic way that applies the material to everyday life. This person should feel passionate about reading and writing and excited to share their interest in the subject. Classes are very small (maximum 10 students in a single class), so lessons should be interactive and personalized. CBSE texts and supplementary novels will be used as a curriculum guideline—but teachers have freedom to introduce their own materials.
20,000 - 25,000 INR monthly. Note that the cost of living in the area where Yuwa works is extremely low compared to larger metros in India.
For foreign teachers, we provide assistance with visa processes as well as accommodation in India.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required