Formerly the Mental Health Association of New York City (MHA-NYC), Vibrant Emotional Health’s groundbreaking solutions have delivered high quality services and support, when, where and how people need it for over 50 years. Through our state-of-the-art technology-enabled services, community wellness programs, and advocacy and education work, we are building a society in which emotional wellness can be a reality for everyone.
DEPARTMENT / PROGRAM: Department of Children and Family / Family Resource Centers in Northern Manhattan
TITLE OF POSITION: Part Time Youth Advocate (18 hours, able to split)
The Youth Advocate will be responsible for engaging youth and their families in order to assist them in identifying their needs as well as achieving their goals. The Youth Advocate will be an integral part of the Family Resource Center staff and will participate in supportive, recreational and educational activities offered to youth and families.
Essential functions and Responsibilities include:
· Work in collaboration with all FRC Family Advocates and Senior Family Advocate in engaging youth in planning their own care and having their voice heard.
· Engage and support youth connected to the Family Resource Center.
· Share personal knowledge and experiences about the youth serving system and resources available to youth.
· Provide support to youth at community meetings and other meetings as needed.
· Provide public education about youth mental health issues.
· Assist in the organization of social, recreational and educational activities for youth.
· Represent the interests of youth with emotional and behavioral challenges in a variety of public forums and advisory groups.
· Enter all services on a daily/weekly basis into a data entry system and maintain records up to date
· Other duties as assigned.
- The Youth Advocate will be a young adult who has had emotional and / or behavioral challenges and experience receiving services from the children’s mental health or other child-serving systems.
- Has completed / is currently completing a High School or a G.E.D program - some college preferred.
- Youth Advocate will receive basic training in empowerment, peer support, self-help, peer advocacy and systems advocacy along with other mandatory training's.
- Bilingual and bi-cultural candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Due to contracting requirements, this position must be filled by a candidate aged 18-30.
Vibrant Emotional Health is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, caregiver status or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual and bi-cultural candidates are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required