We’re looking for a creative and visionary communicator to manage all aspects of media relations and strategy for United We Dream in Texas. The right person for this job is a team player, willing learner, and an excellent writer with political and cultural savvy who can’t wait to make the voice of UWD members heard and change the world.
The Communications Associate will develop and maintain relationships with reporters, with an eye on shaping and pitching stories that help shift the narrative on immigration and the broader issues we care about. S/he will be key in the leadership development pipeline of immigrant youth as communication leaders as well. Yes, we’re interested in the news, but we’re also interested in entertainment, culture, narrative development and trends as well - you should be too!
The ideal candidate will join United We Dream’s nationwide amazing communications and digital team, and will play a central strategic role for the organization. To be successful in this job, the ideal candidate must work well under pressure and enjoy leadership development - we’re committed to supporting our affiliate groups and leaders, and ensuring that they shine!
This is a full-time exempt position that must be based in Austin, TX.
- Under supervision of the Texas Director works with Director, Texas staff, and Communications Department to develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy - including both long term and rapid response projects - to advance the goals of our membership
- Write press statements, media advisories, press releases, talking points and background memos to achieve the strategic goals for Texas and UWD Field and Communications Departments.
- Train/coach a leader in each of our key cities to pitch stories, field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers in addition to entertainment industry contacts
- Coach a communications leader in each of our key cities to identify and train spokespeople for press events and interviews in both English and Spanish
- Plan and support press events organized by United We Dream, affiliate groups and partners while coaching local leaders to be communications leads in their localities.
- Work with Texas Director to craft messages for UWD’s range of audiences
- Coordinate Texas press and media stories/releases with UWD Digital Department to include social media component to amplify reach and impact of stories and messaging.
- Work with the Communications Department to achieve UWD’s communications goals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications staff and lead volunteers of UWD Affiliates and partners
- Train and coach Texas field leaders and members in training leaders on story of self, us and now
- Contribute to the political strategic direction of the Network
- Find opportunities to advance the interests of United We Dream members and programs through the news and entertainment media
- Manage UWD’s media relations technology suite
- Track news clips and continually assess and improve UWD’s impact on the media
- Other duties as assigned.
Abilities and Experience:
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills, preferably bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Two years of communications or relevant experience preferred
- Track record of success working with new and traditional media preferred
- Experience producing messaging for campaigns and materials preferred
- Able to implement a rapid response communication strategy
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Ability to be part of intersecting teams and give and receive support as necessary
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Personal experience with the issues facing the UWD membership preferred
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
Don’t think you meet one of these requirements? This is a communications job - convince us why we should hire you anyway!
Two weeks paid vacation during first year; 9 holidays as well as the week of Christmas - New Years holiday leave; health care includes medical, dental and vision care; 403 B retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in both English and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample via email to email@example.com and include TX COMMUNICATIONS ASSC – (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.