About Osborne Association
The Osborne Association serves individuals, families, and communities affected by the criminal justice system. Through our programs, we offer opportunities for people to heal from and repair harm, restore their lives, and thrive. We challenge systems rooted in racism and retribution and fight for policies and practices that promote true safety, justice, and liberation.
At Osborne, we are guided by core values and shared beliefs. We honor everyone's capacity to change, celebrate our shared humanity, are united in our pursuit of justice and equity, take all possible steps to keep our commitments and advocate for people and principles with fierce and tenacious determination.
Osborne seeks an experienced fundraising professional to lead our comprehensive development program inclusive of individual, foundation, corporate, and public support as the Vice President of Development (VP). The VP will provide leadership and guidance to a dynamic fundraising team, developing and implementing fundraising strategies that align with programmatic objectives as well as short-and long-term organizational priorities. Reporting to the CEO, the VP will serve as a trusted advisor and a member of Osborne’s Senior Leadership Team and will work collaboratively with programs, policy, communications and administrative departments to inform the organization’s strategic direction and plan.
* The position is split between 40% in office work and 60% remote work temporarily and is subject to change with or without notice. Site visits and other in-person activities should be expected.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create, lead, and execute Osborne’s Development plan for raising annual operating income, increasing overall support, and diversifying revenue streams with a focus on growing private contributions
- Own a portfolio of key strategic partnerships, individual donors, and/or institutional funders with capacity to make notable gifts
- Oversee the major gift, special event, fundraising campaigns, corporate and foundation identification, stewardship, and solicitation strategies
- Manage the strategic participation of crucial staff, program participants and Board Members in cultivating and stewarding individual, foundation, corporate and other donors
- In partnership with the CEO, cultivate and steward meaningful relationships with Osborne’s Board of Directors, identifying pathways to enhance their contributions and engagement
- In partnership with communications and policy departments, contribute to content creation on Osborne’s website and support a brand-aligned social media strategy to enhance the organization’s visibility, engagement, and support
- Actively evaluate the success of existing fundraising strategies and continually integrate new approaches and strategies
- Provide executive leadership and strategic direction to the development team, including direct supervision of the Director of Individual and Corporate Giving and the Director of Institutional Giving
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Provide oversight and support to various fundraising consultants, including those engaged to lead specific efforts such as capital campaigns
- Establish metrics and KPIs for the development team and its individual members; ensure accountability for their attainment
- Serve as a vital member of the senior leadership team with shared responsibility for setting and achieving the organization’s vision and goals
- As an engaging external representative and ambassador of Osborne, cultivate relationships with the Board, donors, and key organizational partners
- Manage the day-to-day administration of all Development Operations, including database management, data integrity, donor communications, stewardship, and reporting
- In collaboration with the Director of Institutional Giving, oversee communications with Federal, State and County agencies regarding grant applications and awards; review grant award conditions and ensure compliance, record keeping and other grant requirements
- Oversee up-to-date calendar and work plans for all fund development efforts, including grant proposals and reports, mailings, marketing activity, and events
- Provides regular, meaningful reports to the CEO, Senior Staff, and Board regarding the progress and efficacy of development efforts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and 7-10 years of direct experience and knowledge of the full spectrum of development, including planned giving, gift solicitations, stewardship, donor recognition and administration
- Experience developing comprehensive fundraising plans, and engaging external partners, and partnering with a CEO and Board of Directors in execution
- Knowledge of the ever-evolving philanthropic landscape, specifically as it relates to individual donors, corporate partners, institutional funding, giving trends, and charitable contributions in the social justice and criminal justice reform space
- Track record of securing substantial gifts from private donors and grants from public funders
- Proven experience effectively managing and coaching diverse teams
- Ability to balance competing priorities and complex situations while leading and motivating individuals
- Impeccable communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, with the ability to share Osborne’s story in a compelling and insightful way for potential and current donors
- Proven ability to communicate, engage, and build relationships with stakeholders that demonstrates a commitment to social justice; demonstrated awareness of incorporating racial/cultural/socioeconomic equity and justice into communications and interpersonal interactions
- Proficient in translating complex ideas and strategies into clear and concise narratives for various audiences and stakeholders
- Strong project management skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative in an innovative, entrepreneurial, complex and fast-paced environment
- A successful track record of creating and implementing innovative solutions to meet organizational needs
- Ability to self-motivate and self-manage
- Experience with social media and other emerging technology tools with relevance to fundraising a plus.
- Direct experience in nonprofit or cause-based leadership; passion for criminal justice reform strongly preferred
Base salary in the range of $150-175K annually.
This agency is a NYC contractor and provides services to upstate facilities; therefore, we adhere to all state and city COVID 19 vaccine mandates. With the exception of an approved exemption/ accommodation, effective December 1, 2021, all staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.