2 Kingsland Avenue
St. Nicks Alliance is a nonprofit, nonsectarian community-based organization founded in 1975 with the mission to serve as a catalyst to improve the quality of life of residents in the communities of North Brooklyn through its work in five main areas: housing, healthcare, workforce development, economic development and youth and education.
The Division of Youth and Education is expanding our staff to include part-time After School Digital Media Arts Educators to work at our programs at Elementary Schools, Middle Schools, Beacons and Cornerstone Community Centers.
St. Nicks Alliance's elementary programs during afterschool hours include Literacy, STEM, Social-Emotional Learning, Arts, Movement, Homework Start, and Weekly Clubs based on children's interests and strengths. Middle School programs also include Leadership and project-based Clubs that respond to the unique developmental needs and interests of middle school youth. For example, clubs can include Music (vocal, song-writing, production, instruments, etc.); Dance (hip-hop, ballroom, ballet, Latin, etc.); Art (visual, sculpture, crafts, photography, etc.); Hands-on (cooking, science experiments, environmental, etc.); Communcations-based (journalism, creative writing, debate, etc.); and sports (team, individual, etc.) We are especially looking for staff with talents to share and experience teaching them to youth!
The Digital Media Arts Educator will be responsible for designing and delivering age appropriate curricula for digital media arts (animation, photography, videography, music production, graphic design, etc.) activities while ensuring the safety and engagement of youth. The position requires a passionate, creative, energetic, team-building leader committed to providing the highest quality of programming for youth.
- Design and deliver age appropriate curricula for digital media arts (photography, animation, videography, game design, graphic design, etc.)
- Submit lesson plans prior to each class
- Lead digital media arts activities that are engaging
- Actively monitor and engage participants during all program activities, including meals, transitions, field trips, clubs, activities, recreation and dismissal
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging activities and theme-based projects catered to the age, stage and interests of participants
- Serve as a positive role model for participants by demonstrating professional language and behavior
- Develop positive, caring relationships with young people and their families
- Utilize youth development principles to enhance program quality and support growth in young people
- Collaborate with co-workers and program supervisors around effective program operations; uphold all safety standards and procedures
- Actively participate in training and professional development to continuously improve on quality
- Must hold or be pursuing a degree in digital arts.
- At least one year experience working with children and young teens in afterschool settings HIGHLY preferred
- A sound understanding of English including reading, writing and speaking; bilingual abilities a plus
- Ability to collaborate with other team members
- A genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills through training opportunities, observation, coaching, and feedback
- After School Availability between 2pm-6pm, approximately 5-20 hours a week; Monday - Friday; some holidays and holiday weeks
- Comply with School Age Child Care (SACC) requirements; including background check and medical clearances.
- Must be empathetic, patient, understanding, and a good listener
- Lots of energy and enthusiasm!
Prior to interview disclaimer
If you are hired you will need to submit:
- Three reference letters (including name, address, organization/ company name, and phone number)
- Copy of diploma or your official college transcript
- Copy of photo identification- state, federal or driver's license
- Copy of social security card.
Additionally, you will need to provide a current physical and proof of a tuberculosis vaccination, and address history for clearance for the New York State Clearance Registry. You will also be required to get fingerprinted by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services and the New York City Department of Education.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "After School Digital Media Arts Educator" in subject line. In your cover letter briefly explain the skills or abilities you would bring to after school. Please all include your prior experience working with children in grades K-12 and include the age group you are interested in working with, Elementary or Middle School.