Business Executives for National Security (BENS) is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of senior business and industry executives who volunteer time and energy to share best practices from their corporate experience with military and government leaders across the national security enterprise. BENS members have one goal: to make our country safer by assisting those leaders in identifying, developing, and applying solutions to business challenges confronting their commands and organizations. Founded in 1982, BENS has offices in New York, Washington D.C., Silicon Valley, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Boston. For more information, please visit www.bens.org.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Membership and based at BENS’ national headquarters in Washington, D.C., the Membership Manager provides essential project and organizational support to an energetic 11-person Membership team (including eight colleagues based in regional offices around the country). This position is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial role that works collaboratively across the team and organization, and requires effective research and data-use skills, experience with events and logistics, and extensive administrative functions, including daily use of a database to track and maintain constituent information and giving. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of the member renewal process: coordinate target lists with regional directors, draft renewal appeals, produce and distribute solicitations and invoices, track responses, prompt reminders, and coordinate follow-up with regional directors.
- Manage and coordinate the acknowledgment process for contributions received: draft and send out “thank you” correspondence; task and coordinate handwritten notes by the CEO; and produce and distribute official receipts.
- Serve as primary administrative point of contact for all regional directors and provide support for regionally directed actions/interactions with members by the CEO. Also provide primary DC-based support for regional travel/visits by the CEO, including review, compilation and augmentation of provided briefing materials, additional research where necessary, and scheduling/coordination of pre-trip briefings, after action reviews and follow-up. Add and maintain information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Provide administrative support for the Director for Strategic Communications and the regional directors in the distribution of regional event invitations via NetCommunity (the online communications tool integrated with Raiser’s Edge).
- Manage and coordinate the Prospect Management Committee (a quarterly team review of contributions and members): coordinate constituent reports with regional directors, lead team meetings, and add and maintain information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Assist in the planning, execution and post-event follow-up actions of all fundraising dinners and selected national-level events.
- Track and distribute prospective member information in response to general inquiries and regional director or member referrals and add and maintain information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Within Raiser’s Edge, manage membership accounts, maintain active listing of Board of Directors and all Board Committee members, and process new registrations, profile updates, and information requests.
- Conduct regular database, website, and membership information maintenance.
- Provide back-up administrative support for the CEO when the Executive Assistant is absent.
- Provide administrative functions for the Membership team.
- BA/BS required.
- Looking for a self-directed, energetic individual, with 1-3 years membership development, fundraising, event management and/or scheduling experience.
- Strong writing and organizational skills required.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Word, Excel, databases, and internet researching methods, are a must. Specific experience with The Raiser’s Edge is a major plus.
- Must be a team player, but also confident working on own. A self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to multi-task efficiently and effectively.
Minimum Education Required