The ACLU of Maine is seeking a self-motivated individual to join our Development team. We are open to a range of experience and encourage applicants from a wide array of backgrounds. The position’s responsibilities and title will be adjusted accordingly.
This person will work as an active partner with a strong fundraising Executive Director to support the cultivation and stewardship of our major donors. The position is based in Portland, Maine, and reports to the Executive Director. This is a full-time, two-year position. There is the possibility of renewal at the end of the two-year period.
We are the Maine affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union. We fight for equality, justice, and freedom for all Mainers. We are active in the areas of criminal justice reform, racial justice, immigrants' rights, reproductive rights, women's rights, LGBTQ+ rights, voting rights, privacy, and freedom of speech and religion.
This position will work closely with the Executive Director to grow the ACLU of Maine’s major donor program and the level of responsibility will be adjusted for experience. The right candidate will be excited to connect the ACLU’s amazing donors with our critical work today and to help us build a strong and sustainable future.
Duties will include:
● Manage the Executive Director’s portfolio of major donors, drawn from a mix of long-time donors and new prospects to be researched and qualified
● Provide support to the Executive Director in preparation for solicitations, including developing appropriate briefing materials in advance of meetings
● Support the Executive Director in face-to-face solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff and/or volunteers on donor engagement opportunities
● Support the Executive Director’s call time and other donor communications
● Track portfolio activity and progress in the donor database. Maintain reports that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance
● Partner with staff to ensure accuracy and completeness of donor records, financial records, and donor acknowledgment procedures
● Maintain working knowledge of programmatic priorities and issues as they occur
● Participate in donor cultivation events and other major donor activities as required
● Work closely with colleagues at the national ACLU, as well as with local program staff and volunteers
● Other tasks as directed
● Strong skills compiling and working with data -- fast and accurate data management, tracking, reporting, and analysis
● Strong research and investigative skills
● Inquisitive, curious, and an interest in learning new things
● Organized and able to organize and prepare others
● Flexible and able to effectively prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic atmosphere
● Collaborative, able to work with all kinds of people
● Strong ability to anticipate and plan
● Responsive and able to meet deadlines
● Dedication to social justice and diversity
Candidates with a wide range of experience are welcome to apply.
● Familiarity and comfort working with and designing spreadsheets, Excel or similar
● Familiarity and comfort using a CRM, such as Salesforce
● 1-5 years or more of fundraising, development, or sales experience
● Experience working in a major donor program or with major donors
Title and salary based on experience. We offer excellent benefits including generous vacation and sick leave, individual employer-provided health insurance, life insurance and long-term disability, paid family medical leave, 401k defined contribution plan with employer match, and 12 paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The ACLU of Maine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of any other group that may experience adversity in hiring to apply. You are encouraged to self-identify in the application materials.
To apply, send your resume and a short email (no more than 500 words) telling us why you are the right person for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications to begin August 27. Include “Development Posting” in the subject line.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at 207-774-5444x2 or email@example.com.