2 Astor Place 3FL
About HMI: The Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) believes all young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential. HMI creates this environment for LGBTQ youth between the ages of 13 and 24 and their families. Through a comprehensive package of direct services and referrals, HMI seeks to foster healthy youth development, promotes excellence in the delivery of youth services and uses its expertise to create innovative programs that other organizations may replicate.
Coach and foster the progress of youth's basketball skillsets and team chemistry; ages 13-18, specifically:
1) On Thursday, Friday (5 8 PM) and Saturday evenings (12 8) travel with youth to designated basketball space for practices and games when scheduled
2) Supervise youth and ensure practices and skill activities are structured accordingly to individual or group settings to foster youth's ski fitting to youths needs
3) Support in efforts of recruitment and scouting of youth between ages 13-18 to join the basketball team and ensure the team is comprised of at least 8 10 players
4) Promote the program through various mediums, such as social media, handing out promotional flyers, reaching out to youth within neighboring communities and schools reachable to intended demographic
5) Mentor and build positive relationships with youth to foster holistic wellness.
6) Prepare a cohort of youth for competitions within HMI's SNL program, external SNL programs and other outside competitions (as advised)
7) Maintain the safety of the space for all youth and promote inclusiveness amongst all youth when participating in basketball programming and games
8) Maintain appropriate data systems to report attendance, evaluation and outcomes.
Additional Instructor Expectations:
Arrive to class 30 minutes prior to meetup or start time.
Ensure youth's attire is fitting to standards for basketball and physical fitness related activities.
Create a class experience that incorporates instructor's personality and skills while adhering to the HMI and (external) facility's standards.
Follow up with students after class, as needed.
Clean practice space/classroom.
Programmatic Direct Service
Work closely with other HMI departments and staff to support ongoing programs and services that occur on Saturday night, not limited to:
a. Outreach and engage youth during Program Common Hours (Thursday/Friday 5:00 7:00pm and Saturday 12:00 8:00pm).
b. Assist in the facilitation of other groups and programming, as requested.
c. Perform general staff duties, such as Caf duty, train-pass, general event set-up/breakdown, etc.
Track youth member enrollment/activities via sign-in sheets.
a. Maintain client level data, including follow-up notes and any referral, as needed.
b. Maintain group level documentation, including sign-in sheets and session summaries.
c. Submit all necessary documentation to Program Manager, Health & Wellness for submission tot Data Department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of basic coaching practices, team leading and collaboration.
- Strong knowledge of/experience in the sport of basketball and other related physical activities.
- Ability to work with diverse population of adolescents in an urban setting, specifically Trans* identified youth, but including knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual and questioning youth from various cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience facilitating group discussions and managing a variety of small and large group dynamics.
- Knowledge of harm reduction practices, trauma-informed care, and positive youth development models.
- Have the ability to recognize own limitations and respond to difficult situations.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when appropriate; strong decision-making skills.
- Work primarily in 2 Astor Place, NYC.
- Work schedule: Thursdays and Fridays 5:00 PM 8:00 PM and Saturday 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm; flexibility required at times to support the needs of the program and agency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We respectfully request that you do not contact us to check the status of the recruiting process or of the materials you've submitted—your cooperation is appreciated.
To apply, please go to http://hmi.applicantpro.com/jobs/
HMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer