650 Townsend Street Suite 435
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital-citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are currently seeking a talented professional to join our foundations team to work on building and managing foundation relationships to support our education efforts. The foundations team is responsible for raising $10M per year, with an existing portfolio of 25 active foundation partners. The ideal candidate will have experience working in the rapidly evolving K-12 education sector and where fundraising and program development were part of their previous role. Exceptionally strong written and oral communication and presentation skills are critical. This position reports to the Vice President of Philanthropic Relationships and Regional Growth.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Participate in philanthropic funding strategy discussions
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop education program briefs, including program goals, impact metrics, activities, and budgets
- Keep abreast of K-12 education trends and bring competitive challenges and new opportunities to the attention of internal stakeholders
- Research and identify key sources and trends in foundation, corporate, and philanthropic support
- Steward and expand a grant portfolio of 20-30 funder relationships, with a focus on securing grants of $250K+. Responsibilities include:
- Building a pipeline of foundation prospects
- Conducting introductory phone calls/meetings to present programs and explore potential fit
- Preparing PowerPoint/Google Slide presentations and other collateral materials
- Outlining strategic talking points for meetings
- Writing concept papers and grant proposals, developing budgets, and shepherding the process from start to finish
- Monitoring progress against grant deliverables (outputs, outcomes, budget) with Education team
- Coordinating periodic updates and communications to funders
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME:
- A bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in K-12 education as a teacher, entrepreneur, or at a non-profit;
- Candidates with a Masters in Education, Business, or Public Policy strongly encouraged to apply;
- Experience in grant writing/fundraising, strategy, and program development;
- Knowledge of evolving preK-12 education and media and technology trends, across a breadth of topics including ed tech, STEM, early childhood, character education and social-emotional learning;
- Outstanding writing skills;
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills and confidence in cultivating and soliciting high-level funder relationships;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete assignments when faced with many deadlines and competing requirements;
- Strong research and analytical skills and familiarity with full suite of Google tools, Salesforce, and Google tools;
- Ability and willingness to travel.
THE X FACTOR:
- A high degree of self-motivation, self-direction, and ingenuity in a highly entrepreneurial environment;
- A collaborative mindset. You have a knack for working effectively across work spectrums.
- A strategic mindset and ability to understand how to connect programs to larger strategic goals and outcomes;
- An ability to build and maintain positive and authentic relationships, and a desire to understand the interests and motivation of funders;
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- A passion for the mission and goals of Common Sense!
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required