Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities (QT) is currently soliciting applications for the Legal Director position that will be opening in mid-October 2021. QT is seeking an experienced and dedicated public interest lawyer to lead its Legal Advocacy and Education Program, which concentrates on resolving inequities and failures in the service delivery system; fighting for equal rights; ensuring people live, work, and play in the most integrated settings; and seeking inclusion of people with disabilities in all decisions influencing their lives.
QT (www.DCQualityTrust.org) is an independent non-profit advocacy organization that has been advancing the interests of DC residents with developmental disabilities since 2002
through its legal, lay advocacy, and monitoring programs. QT’s vision is a community where everyone is respected, belongs, contributes, is valued and shapes his or her own present and future. QT provides local and national leadership around the promotion and exercise of individual decision-making rights through its work on the Jenny Hatch Justice Project (www.JennyHatchJusticeProject.org) and the National Resource Center for Supported Decision-Making (www.SupportedDecisionMaking.org).
Legal Director, QT Legal Advocacy and Education
Immediate Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The incumbent is the primary manager for QT’s Legal Advocacy and Education Program. Major responsibilities include working with the DC government, provider agencies, the DC Courts, and the broader DC legal community to ensure that people with developmental disabilities have access to high quality legal representation. The incumbent provides leadership for projects that seek to promote, defend, and protect the rights of people with developmental disabilities. The incumbent also serves as the Legal Director of QT’s Jenny Hatch Justice Project, which provides legal advocacy and representation to assist eligible people with disabilities facing or in overbroad or undue guardianship. In addition, the incumbent serves as the Lead Project Director of the National Resource Center for Supported Decision-Making, which is dedicated to advancing the decision-making rights of people with disabilities and older adults, through training, information-sharing, technical assistance, research, and promotion of promising practices in Supported Decision-Making (SDM) across the United States.
Works collaboratively with other QT managers, Quality Service Navigators, and other staff, pro bono attorneys, and independent contractors to accomplish organizational goals. Provides supervision and direction to Quality Trust legal staff and student interns, as well as oversight of contracted legal service providers (agencies or individuals) and pro bono attorneys.
1. Works with the DC government, provider agencies, the DC Courts, and the broader DC legal community to ensure that people with developmental disabilities have access to high quality legal representation.
2. Serves as primary legal counsel to the CEO.
3. Participates as a member of the leadership team to set program direction for the organization.
4. Provides leadership for systemic legal reform efforts through amicus briefs, negotiations, authorized litigation, and other tools.
5. Positions QT as an expert on legal issues impacting people with developmental disabilities through resource development and training initiatives that support quality in and access to legal services for people with developmental disabilities.
6. Supervises legal projects and services of legal department staff, student interns, and other volunteers, including the legal work of the Jenny Hatch Justice Project.
7. Provides oversight of contracted legal service providers (agencies or individuals) and pro bono attorneys.
8. Provides advice, limited representation, and referrals for people with disabilities on a wide-range of legal issues and looks for opportunities to advance systems-change through individual advocacy.
9. Works closely with CEO to set QT’s policy agenda, including testifying at DC Council; commenting on federal and local regulations and policies; and participating in stakeholder activities, coalitions, and committees.
10. Provides training, technical assistance, and mentoring to lawyers and lay advocates working in support of people with developmental and other disabilities.
11. Serves as Lead Project Director of the National Resource Center for Supported Decision-Making, including undertaking training and public education initiatives; developing and compiling relevant public resources; responding to public inquiries for information; and providing relevant grant management.
12. Works with the Board of Directors in order to accomplish specific goals as directed by the CEO.
13. Performs other duties as may be directed by the CEO
Performs other duties as may be directed by the CEO.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to translate core values of QT into practice.
2. Knowledge of relevant disability law (case law, statutes, and regulations) and public interest litigation at state and federal level.
3. Comfort and skill speaking before diverse large or small groups ranging from government officials to attorneys to people with developmental disabilities and their families.
4. Effectiveness as a facilitator, leader, and negotiator.
5. Experience with program development.
6. Experience with supervision and/or oversight of legal staff, pro bono attorneys, other volunteers, and legal service contractors.
7. Ability to direct and evaluate the work of others.
8. Experience preparing and managing operational plans and program budgets.
9. Knowledge of a range of effective strategies for advocacy, monitoring, and organizational quality enhancement and change.
10. Ability to quickly produce well written legal, policy, and educational materials.
11. Considerable maturity in dealing with employees, local providers, government officials, and the general public.
Education, Training, and Experience
1. JD from an Accredited Law School.
2. DC Bar Membership required, additional Maryland Bar Membership a plus.
3. At least 10 years of legal experience.
4. Experience with guardianship, alternatives, and promoting decision-making rights.
5. Experience with non-profit legal services and knowledge of legal issues related to people with disabilities.
6. Experience working as a systems advocate and providing training and technical assistance with attorneys and non-attorney partners.
7. Experience with litigation in local and federal courts and in administrative proceedings preferred.
QT HIRING POLICY
QT is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veterans status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, family responsibilities, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities (QT) is currently soliciting applications for the Legal Director position that will be opening in mid-October 2021. QT is seeking an experienced and dedicated public interest lawyer to…
SALARY & BENEFITS
Public interest salary and generous benefits, including employer-paid health insurance. While Quality Trust has been working remotely during the pandemic, plans are being made to return to more typical work patterns in the Fall of 2021. Quality Trust does offer the potential for individualized telework schedules; however, no positions are planned as 100% remote. Director level positions require some regular physical presence in the DC office and in-person engagement in local advocacy activities.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Public interest salary and generous benefits, including employer-paid health insurance. While Quality Trust has been working remotely during the…
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “QT Legal Director Application” in the subject line. We are looking for thoughtful, tailored cover letters that show a commitment to QT’s mission and the applicant’s experience that specifically meets the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities outlined above. Applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “QT Legal Director…