40 W. 39th St.
IDP is hiring a paralegal who:
● Is excited to support immigrants and their families navigate the complex immigration system and to keep informed on ICE enforcement tactics
● Is skilled at managing data and information, and wants to use these skills to advance immigrant rights
● Has a passion for creating and maintaining systems to keep a busy office running smoothly
IDP is hiring a paralegal to play a key role in supporting our national hotline, through which attorneys provide legal advice to immigrants and their families who have had contact with the criminal legal system. The hotline is also open to criminal defense attorneys and immigration attorneys. The paralegal will work closely with the IDP attorneys and volunteers who staff the hotline and under the supervision of a Senior Staff attorney. Responsibilities include monitoring and returning messages from our national hotline, conducting intake interviews by phone, collecting documentation by email and fax, directing calls to attorneys, and maintaining and managing our hotline database. The paralegal will also play a critical role as part of IDP’s ICE raids team by gathering and managing information on ICE community and home raids. This position offers an exciting opportunity for an individual to work with immigrants and their families who are seeking legal advice, and we welcome the chance to create opportunities for creative growth and professional development in this role.
Paralegal Responsibilities Include:
Hotline Intake (50%)
● Check and manage hotline voicemail
● Answer intake calls and conduct intake interviews with hotline callers seeking immigration advice
● Screen and refer calls that do not fit issues related to the mission of IDP to ensure that callers are directed efficiently and appropriately
● Collect documents from callers and assess when document collection is complete enough for an attorney to provide legal advice
● Identify urgent and emergency calls for an attorney to be involved in from the outset
● Maintain documentation and accurate notes about actions taken as part of the intake process in online case management system
● Maintain referral information.
● Answer mail from incarcerated individuals requesting referrals and resources
Hotline Database Management (20%)
● Ensure client and attorney database information is accurate
● Manage and update database customizations to maximize staff efficiency
● Help identify trends and flag successful outcomes
● Compile monthly reporting to the NYC Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice and Annual reporting to the NYS Office of Indigent Legal Services
● Assist with data collection and compilation for grant applications and reports to other funders
ICE Raids Tracking Support (25%)
● Assist IDP staff by analyzing ICE enforcement tactics and trends
● Follow up on reports of ICE raids with community members, legal service providers, and others
● Maintain IDP’s database on ICE raids
● Update IDP’s ICEwatch raids map
Additional Job Requirements (5%) May Include:
● With other staff, provide Know Your Rights trainings and work with local community-based organizations
● Assist IDP staff with legal admin tasks including: Managing organizational email lists; redacting legal documents; and filing court documents
● Help IDP hotline team to supervise volunteer hotline attorneys and interns.
Commensurate with relevant experience (submit salary requirements with cover letter). Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and 401K.
Level of Language Proficiency
● Must be bilingual in both English and Spanish
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people, including people who may be in crisis and across cultures
● Strong communication skills, including ability to write well and communicate effectively, specifically over the phone, through letters and email
● Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
● Familiarity and comfort with using computers and technology (including using web-based software, Microsoft Excel and Word, and Google Suite products like Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.)
Personal or professional familiarity with immigration and/or criminal legal system, or other comparable experience desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal Application” in the subject of email. Position open until filled, though applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. No phone calls please.