1730 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Flamboyan Foundation seeks a driven and talented Office Operations Associate for our Washington, DC office. The person in this role will ensure the smooth execution of day-to-day operations and reception duties while assisting with organizational projects. The ideal candidate will be a dependable, detail-oriented critical thinker with excellent time management and prioritization skills and a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude.
Who We Are
Currently in our 8th year of operation in D.C., Flamboyan Foundation is partnering with over 50 local public and public charter schools, with DC Public Schools central office, and with several teacher and leader preparation programs to equip them with the confidence, knowledge, skills and resources to effectively partner with families for student success.
What You’ll Do
The Office Operations Associate position is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in a growing, entrepreneurial, and collaborative organization that is working to improve student learning by changing how D.C. families and educators partner to support success. A core member of Flamboyan’s team, this person will be an active contributor in semi-monthly team meetings and ongoing strategic planning, supporting our programmatic work and refining operational systems. The Office Operations Associate is the first point of contact for the three organizations sharing our building and will liaise with the Building Manager to maintain a welcoming and efficient space. This position reports to the Managing Director, Finance & Operations and works with all Flamboyan team members to ensure everyone has the materials, equipment, and administrative support they need to achieve our goals.
The Office Operations Associate is responsible for various tasks recurring on a daily and monthly basis in addition to support functions that may change day-to-day. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reception duties, including: greeting and orienting guests, answering and directing incoming calls
- General administrative tasks, including: building security, maintenance and stocking of common areas (mainly kitchenettes), conference rooms scheduling and conflict resolution, handling incoming and outgoing mail, monitoring central email inbox
- Oversees all building supply closets – budgeting, tracking, and procuring of materials
- Runs office errands as needed (infrequent)
Finance & HR
- Manages ongoing purchase requests and performs monthly reconciliations for charges to company card
- Reconciles Flamboyan’s Uber Business account in line with travel policies
- Maintains tracking of approved paid time off requests
- Supports operational elements of employee onboarding and offboarding (e.g. adding employees to Uber account, setting up email accounts, onboarding employee to office norms, etc.
- Develops and applies expertise in office technology (laptops, adapters, videoconferencing tools, etc.)
- Provides technical assistance for meetings, as needed
- Supports the Associate, Finance & Operations with managing employee technology – procurement, troubleshooting, maintaining inventory, etc.
- Maintains office printers
Support President’s Office & MD, Finance & Operations
- Provides overflow support for Assistant, President’s Office including coordinating logistics for special events, office retreats, and Board meetings
- Executes special projects for MD, Finance & Operations as assigned
- Proactively develops, improves, or maintains operational systems
- Integral member of the DC office and operations team meaning deep engagement in semi-monthly team meetings and annual strategic planning process
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to produce high-quality work
- Ability to rapidly master new systems/skills and learn from mistakes with facility
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple delegated tasks and consistently meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and adjust priorities as needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-step projects, anticipate obstacles and communicate status as needed
- Strong command of Microsoft Office suite and other technology applications preferred
- Exhibits poise and professionalism
- Responds to requests and challenges with a diplomatic, adaptable, ‘can-do’ attitude
- Possesses a humble, cooperative and flexible spirit
- Demonstrates consistent dependability and punctuality
- Enjoys interfacing with others
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, i.e., set a goal and work backwards to meet deliverables
- Demonstrated curiosity and initiative; always looking for what needs to be done and could be done better
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and identify solutions independently and collaboratively
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. (may need to carry supplies up or down office stairs)
About Flamboyan Foundation
Flamboyan Foundation strives for the day when every child has the opportunity to live a fulfilling life. To make this vision a reality, we produce catalytic and sustainable results to education’s most intractable challenges so children most impacted by inequity thrive. Flamboyan brings strategic leadership and investment of time and money to solve some of the most deeply rooted educational challenges. We study the issues and work with our partners to develop creative solutions and put ideas into practice. We constantly learn from our experiences and adapt our work accordingly. The cornerstone of Flamboyan’s approach is hands-on, purposeful collaboration with nonprofits, school districts, educators, government and community leaders who share our commitment to and focus on achieving ambitious results to improve children’s learning.
Our core values are Flamboyan’s foundational tenets that keep us grounded as we grow, develop, and change. They are a packaged-deal, with each value uniquely supporting the meaning of the whole package.
- People. We believe in the power, dignity, value, potential, and good intent of all people.
- Equity. We challenge ourselves, one another, and our partners to collaborate to identify and eliminate the barriers faced by historically underserved populations [so that everyone has the same access, consideration, respect, and opportunity].
- Impact. We create lasting, meaningful social change.
- Catalytic Action. We pursue our goals with passion and urgency and activate others internally and externally to carry our work even further.
For more information please visit www.flamboyanfoundation.org.
How We Value You
Flamboyan offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position, a comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation time, and professional development opportunities. We are a flexible, family-friendly, beautiful work environment, centered on the philosophy that we value people.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; HS Diploma required
- Administrative experience preferred, particularly experience in calendar management
- Service industry experience preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online at: http://flamboyanfoundation.org/about/careers/. It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend that your cover letter include why you are interested in Flamboyan Foundation and how your past experience has prepared you for this role.
Note that the application must be completed in one sitting - it cannot be saved and edited at a later time. We recommend completing it in one sitting or answering the questions offline and copying them to the application when you are ready to submit. Applications submitted by June 8, 2018 will receive best consideration.
Flamboyan Foundation is committed to being an inclusive organization that challenges historical inequity with a focus on dismantling systemic racism. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.