ABOUT HI USA
HI USA is a nonprofit organization founded on an enduring belief in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places, and the world around. For over 80 years, HI USA has provided a network of affordable hostels to facilitate interaction among people from diverse backgrounds, from across the country and around the world. As our community of travelers gets to know each other, they discover their similarities and differences, expanding their world views as they build friendships.
The CFO will have primary responsibility for executing the company’s financial strategy, including oversight of all accounting and financial functions; financial reporting; budget development and forecasting; maintaining lender relationships; coordination of the organization’s risk management program; oversight of its legal counsel function and leadership of the Finance and Accounting team. This position will also be responsible for reporting the financial results, as well as other financial related governance reports to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis, or as needed.
As a strategic leadership position in the organization, the Chief Financial Officer will also work directly with the CEO and the Executive Leadership team to provide strategic financial leadership and overall vision for HI USA. Financial expertise and strong analytical skills are essential.
- Ensure the effective execution and coordination of the short and long-term financial strategy, and ongoing financial information and planning needs of the CEO, the Executive Leadership team, and the national board of directors.
- Coordinate the organization’s risk management program. Work with external legal counsel in obtaining and maintaining appropriate insurance coverage, licensing, contracts, corporate negotiations, major supplier/customer/partner relationships, relationships with regulatory bodies, and all organizational approvals and accreditations.
- Ensure that HI USA financial and accounting functions meet best practice approaches, processes, systems, and operations.
- Provide oversight, in coordination with the Controller, of the organization’s accounting functions, including establishing and monitoring internal controls.
- Develop and implement the annual operating budget in coordination with department directors, Executive Leadership team, and the CEO.
- Ensure the effective and timely preparation, monitoring, reporting and analysis of monthly GAAP financial statements for the organization’s diverse management needs, including a monthly analysis of budget variances, trends, and forecasts.
- In coordination with the Controller, ensure the effective coordination and execution of annual financial audits and tax return preparation; act as primary liaison for national board audit committee.
- Create and oversee the ongoing preparation of a system of metrics to support the monitoring of the performance of the organization’s critical business and financial elements.
- Implement and ensure compliance with the organization’s investment policies, with input from the national board audit committee.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local government filing and reporting requirements.
- Maintain relationships with banks and lending partners. Monitor and report on lender covenant compliance and ensure timely delivery of quarterly reporting to lender group; respond to requests from lenders.
- Coordinate the financial aspects of real estate transactions with the Vice President of Hostel Network.
- Prioritize the focus of the legal counsel function.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Participate in the development and execution of organization wide strategy as a member of the executive leadership team. Work closely with senior leadership to develop, oversee, and achieve multi-year operating plans, goals, and objectives.
- Create and foster a work environment that values diversity of perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members. Support, develop, supervise, and evaluate team members.
- Train and coach finance team in supporting the overall financial performance of the organization, including budgeting, implementing financial processes, and reviewing financial statements.
- Promote positive relations with banks, vendors, lending partners, auditors, and other stakeholders.
Triple Bottom line and Success Through Service:
- Ensure adherence to the Triple Bottom Line and Success through Service principles. Collaborate with senior leadership and other staff to promote environmental, financial, and social responsibility.
- The CFO will be a highly visible leader, team builder and collaborator encompassing the values of servant leadership and HI USA’s Success Through Service values.
- In conjunction with HR and others, design programs to support hostel staff and model the principles of Putting People First, Listening and Building Community.
- Develop and manage departmental budgets.
Education and Experience
- 10-15 years of business experience in related industry (hospitality, real estate, and/or nonprofit).
- 4-year, bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or similar field. Advanced degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting preferred. CPA preferred.
- 10+ years of supervisory/management experience required.
- Leadership experience in multi-unit, geographically diverse organization essential; non-profit organization experience preferred.
- Exposure to real estate, related financing, and complex organizational structures helpful.
- Ability to analyze and organize complex financial data and to establish plans and set objectives to support financial goals.
- Proven ability to support, develop, supervise, motivate, and evaluate team members, and to create and foster a work environment that values diversity and encourages contributions by all team members.
- Hands on approach to work.
- Advanced knowledge of excel.
- Sound business acumen with proven track record of results in Identifying problems, evaluating alternatives, and implementing effective solutions.
- Excellent time management with the ability to prioritize, juggle multiple tasks, work independently, and grasp concepts quickly essential.
- Demonstrated behavior consistent with HI-USA ethics and values with the ability to create, communicate, and achieve HI-USA’s vision and purpose.
- Honesty and Integrity
- Solid organizational agility; Demonstrated understanding of working within a matrix organization.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; and ability to work well with people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and manage change successfully.
- Experience managing remote operations through systems.