Program Assistant, Economic Development and Community Engagement
- Job posted by Association of Public and Land-grant Universities
Details: Compensation commensurate with candidate’s experience
1307 New York Avenue, NW
This full-time position under the direct supervision of the Vice President, Economic Development and Community Engagement, provides a full range of complex program coordination for the Office of Economic Development and Community Engagement (OEDCE).
The Program Assistant role is at the heart of OEDCE’s business operations and activities and is central to keeping the department moving forward. The Program Assistant performs an extensive array of organizational tasks--managing calendars, booking travel, scheduling calls, correspondence, etc.—and also tasks related to program implementation—member and constituent communications, database management, and member participation development and coordination. The incumbent performs duties such as tracking departmental budgets, organizing meetings and conferences, facilitating project management, developing and editing communications, managing databases, and scheduling and implementing member meetings and webinars. The person needs to anticipate the needs of managers and team members and help them stay focused on their projects by resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise.
This person communicates with APLU members via routine correspondence and newsletters. The ability to interact with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all staff levels is critical to this role. The Program Assistant has a demonstrated capacity to handle such interactions, sometimes under pressure, while being proactive, resourceful, efficient, and professional.
This individual has: experience facilitating project management from conception to completion; the ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies; interest and experience in using technology to improve work efficiency; and respect for complete confidentiality on all business matters. The individual is familiar with meeting planning and logistics; general office procedures; budgeting; social media, web meeting, and other communications tools. They have excellent written and oral communication skills and exceptional time management skills. The Program Assistant is an energetic, dependable self-starter. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following
- Schedules and organizes meetings, travel, and departmental activities for all members of OEDCE;
- Responsibility for managing the planning of conferences and meetings, including hotel contracts, ongoing communication with hotel/conference center, coordination of meeting/conference logistics, organization of program development timelines and task lists, facilitation of program development process among OEDCE staff and APLU member volunteers
- Organizes council and commission membership and activities, including list management in the membership database using Microsoft Dynamics, email list software, and web-based collaborative tools; arrangement of council and commission calendars with committee and working group meetings and projects timelines; monitoring of council and commission projects and activities timelines
- Acts as project coordinator for all office activities, developing timelines and task lists and monitoring progress toward project and program completion; alerting the Vice President and other OEDCE staff of deadlines; helping to modify project/program plans as needed;
- Organizes and facilitates all departmental administrative activities, including processing of expense reports; tracking budgets and departmental or project expenses; working with accounts payable to secure travel reimbursement, documenting corporate credit card expenses; monitoring and alerting Vice President and other OEDCE staff of administrative deadlines and tasks to be completed; and other administrative tasks
- Writes general correspondence and presentations and proofreads various documents;
- Writes and edits email newsletter content and items for social media distribution
- Schedules and facilitates implementation of member meetings and webinars
- Organizing member participation in OEDCE member groups, including helping to identify prospective members/participants, and coordinating phone meetings and web conferences for committees and working groups
- Works as facilitator of team effort on all departmental activities
Knowledge and skills required to perform this job
- Knowledgeable of project management basics, and interested in developing skills in organizing project tasks and timelines, and in facilitating team effort on projects
- Experienced at organization and coordination of administrative and business functions (budget tracking, expense management, travel coordination, etc.)
- Skilled manager of tasks and timelines for volunteer-led projects, including alignment of staff effort with volunteer and program needs
- Experienced and skilled in the use of software programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.), and web-based research and information tools;
- Comfortable learning new software and technology tools;
- Experienced with managing the planning of events;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with general guidelines and training; and also to facilitate the work of a team, engaging departmental leadership and staff in fulfilling task and timeline commitments
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize projects/responsibilities;
- Experienced in maintaining poise, focus, consistency, and accuracy under pressure of multiple deadlines;
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Proven writing and editing capability.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Required; and
- Minimum of six years professional experience required.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
APLU provides a generous benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a brief cover letter, resume, and writing sample to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line: “OEDCE Program Assistant.”