Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
We are looking for a senior digital innovation specialist who will lead our efforts to expand and diversify our digital advertising program and identify new, high-impact fundraising and advocacy tactics. The person in this role will work with our ad agencies to test 3-5 new ad platforms every six months and scale those that yield strong return on spend. They will also work with program, digital advocacy, and digital fundraising staff to design experiments to leverage digital advertising, email, SMS, and our website for real-world campaign impact.
We need someone who will bring creative ideas and a fresh perspective while following the data on what’s working in the digital advertising landscape. The person in this role will work in a highly collaborative context with people across the Digital Membership team and the organization.
- Manage our ad testing program:
- Work with our digital advertising agencies to test approximately 3-5 new digital advertising platforms or tactics every six months, with an emphasis on lead generation and direct fundraising;
- Identify 1-2 new platforms a year that are scalable;
- Manage the digital advertising agency executing platform testing;
- Monitor and decide how to allocate ad testing budget across platforms;
- Execute digital advertising tests in platforms we run in-house (including creative and placement).
- Discover new, innovative tactics to improve our email and SMS fundraising and advocacy, and work with others on the Digital Membership team to develop testing plans;
- Identify opportunities to test paid media to achieve advocacy goals, and work with program teams to run tests;
- Monitor digital advertising performance and analyze test results.
- 4-7 years of experience in digital communications, marketing, fundraising, or a related field. 2 years’ experience with advertising in any context – corporate, political, nonprofit, etc. – preferred.
- Innovative: You constantly come up with new ideas to test. You adapt to the evolving needs of the organization and the environmental movement and think 3 (or 30) steps ahead to develop solutions that achieve goals in your realm.
- Results-orientation: You follow data rather than intuition and focus on outcomes rather than getting bogged down in process. You consistently anticipate issues, overcome challenges and leverage resources to creatively solve problems without much guidance.
- Strong sense of ownership and resilience: You plan ahead and find alternative paths, when needed, to reach revenue and advocacy goals. You bounce back from setbacks and hold a high bar even when things are hectic.
- Social and racial equity lens: You recognize ways that race and other identities intersect in the work. You’re comfortable talking about identities such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, or gender in plain, specific terms. You understand the historical context for racial inequity and other identity-based inequities, and their present-day implications in online advertising, fundraising, and campaigning.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Experience working in Google ads’ platform or other digital advertising platforms.
- Experience managing vendors.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred.