444 Spear St.
IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, gender equity, education, and agriculture.
We have an opportunity for an early career Accounts Payable Specialist to join our growing Finance team in San Francisco. As a part of the Global Core Team, you'll support our Chief Financial Officer and Finance Lead in running our financial operations. You’re a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative—ready to roll up your sleeves and join a team that’s helping to bring human-centered design to some of the world’s toughest challenges.
*This is an early career/entry level position.* The person will have an opportunity to learn and grow into an accounting position. You must work out of our San Francisco office.
- Manage the complete Accounts Payables function including entering receipt and disbursement transactions into QuickBooks, and tracking A/P
- Set up new vendor accounts
- Maintain all accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and corporate accounts payable files
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Enters all invoices using appropriate documentation
- Insure that approvals are consistent with our internal policies
- Review staff reimbursement requests and prepare payments
- Reconcile staff credit card accounts
- Collaborate with the Talent team to prepare payroll on a semi-monthly basis
- Make deposits as needed
- Enter bank account transactions into QuickBooks
- Reconcile development department data vs QuickBooks
- Assist with yearly tax return and audit
- Track information for 1099 vendors and process year-end 1099 forms
- Maintain orderly accounting records and files, both electronic and paper
- Maintain historical records by filing documents
- Assist with other clerical/administrative duties, as needed
- File all invoices electronically in Dropbox and hard copies in the filing cabinet
- Assist with other accounting tasks as assigned
- Contribute to IDEO.org culture
- Passion/ Interest in nonprofit work
- Internship or 1-2 years accounts payable/bookkeeping experience for a small company
- An Associates degree or at least some college (accounting certificate a plus)
- Accounting Skills – Good understanding of Debits, Credits, and Account Types
- Understanding of restricted grants
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to work well independently, without close direct supervision, and as part of a team
- Solution orientation as a team player
- Proficiency with QuickBooks and familiarity with Excel, Expensify and Paychex or any payroll software is a plus
- Familiarity with a Mac-based work environment
- Positive attitude and service orientation; ability to get along with different work styles
There is a full benefits package provided which includes medical, dental, and a generous vacation policy.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent English speaker required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply to this position on our career site.
Please include why you are interested in working at IDEO.org in your application. There is a question included on the application where you can explain why you are motivated to join IDEO.org.
We are a mission driven nonprofit, and we take the candidate's reason for wanting to join our organization seriously.