Reports to: Director of Operations, National
Start date: August 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity in communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 12 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 86% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 76% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a postsecondary degree and the life that comes with it. As the Manager of Operations, you will help monitor and enhance the office operations at our National headquarters to ensure all Chicago-based team members are able to effectively do their best work every day. In addition, you will support the Director of Operations in their support of six regions and 150 staff members across the country.
The Manager of Operations will serve as a steward of OneGoal, representing the organization with internal and external constituents. He/She/They must embody our core values, pay keen attention to detail and be extremely organized, and operate with a strong customer service mentality while executing on these primary functions:
Embrace innovation, sweat the details and get excited about creating systems to make our office run as smoothly as possible (35%):
- Maintain the reception area which would also entail answering all inbound calls and preparing outgoing shipments as well as receiving incoming packages.
- Manage and organize headquarter office facilities, equipment, and supplies in an effort to ensure that the office is always a welcoming, clean, organized, and tidy workspace.
- Improve systems to enhance productivity and staff satisfaction,
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with building management, OneGoal preferred vendors, internal teams, and external stakeholders.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations and our Human Assets team, maintain and update the HQ Office Operations Handbook on an annual basis.
- Work with the Director of Operations to assist with the processes associated with new staff onboarding and staff departures, including arranging for new staff supplies and equipment needs and coordinating logistics for set-up of office space, telephones, and computers as well as conducting office tours and training sessions.
Represent National Headquarters by providing excellent operations support centered on a warm, focused customer service mindset (25%):
- Maintain, improve, and develop systems for office-wide communications via the team intranet page
- Oversee the logistics, materials development, and office coordination of various events, including quarterly All-Staff Meetings, Executive Leadership Team events, and Board of Directors meetings as necessary.
- Provide exceptional customer service to external partners, internal staff, and visitors; ensure that any visiting staff have the resources and information to feel welcomed.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations and team leaders, build and fuel organizational norms to ensure adherence to core values and team expectations.
Demonstrate strong communication and collaboration through operational support to National Finance & Operations Team (40%):
- Manage key functions of our materials and equipment infrastructure, such as:
- Manage various aspects of our Verizon + RingCentral phone and MiFi accounts.
- Support supplemental materials and equipment requests from all staff, including remote National staff members in various locations.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations play a supportive role in the development of OneGoal’s Business Operations:
- Travel Management administrative support
- Vendor Management administrative support
The Manager of Operations is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the examples listed below, however, these descriptions are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You thrive in and enjoy behind-the-scenes work in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- You simultaneously manage a variety of projects toward ambitious outcomes.
- You take pride in identifying and implementing high-impact solutions that will improve office efficiency.
You are a problem-solver.
- You have the ability to break down and sequence large projects into manageable pieces for yourself and others. You see the big picture, but you have a disciplined attention to detail.
- You don’t mind the occasional fire drill and can apply quick solutions to sudden challenges.
- You enjoy the complex work of overcoming staff obstacles to productivity while keeping an eye towards equity, inclusion, and our core values.
You put people first.
- You are a clear and effective communicator. You enjoy being responsive to the needs of others and you are always looking for ways to improve our operations. You constantly look for “teachable moments” and opportunities to build the capacity of others.
- You value people over process and you wed your success to the success of others. You recognize that great collaboration and support starts with strong relationships. You thrive on collaboration and feedback and you support your team members by demonstrating empathy, inclusivity, and trust.
- Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s degree (Preferred)
- Six months – 3 years of professional experience (Preferred)
- Prior operations or events experience with demonstrated evidence of results (Required)
- Previous experience in the communities we serve or in the nonprofit or education field (Preferred)
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org. You may also reach out to Leila El-Badawi directly at Leila.El-Badawi@onegoalgraduation.org or 773-916-4172.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.