Details: Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale.
1735 Telegraph Avenue
The Pro Bono Program Associate is a key member of the Pro Bono Department, and actively supports the engagement of private attorneys in the delivery of legal services. The Associate will support the planning, delivery, and evaluation of BayLegal's pro bono programs. The Associate will be based in the Oakland office and report to the Pro Bono Director.
- Coordinate cases for placement with pro bono attorneys
- Respond to client and volunteer inquiries
- Maintain database of client and volunteer records
- Create and maintain pro bono client files
- Develop and streamline processes and procedures
- Support recruitment and ongoing engagement of pro bono attorneys and other volunteers
- Coordinate volunteer panel of interpreters
- Support law clerk recruitment
- Support and participate in pro bono legal clinics
- Work closely with the communications team to promote BayLegal
About the Successful Candidate:
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- B.A./B.S. required
- Experience managing volunteers or working in legal services is a plus
- Experience with social media platforms for volunteer engagement and recruitment is a plus
- Demonstrated experience in data entry, management and interpretation (LCRM Salesforce; Microsoft Excel)
- Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Strongly oriented toward details and organization
- Exceptional listener and communicator
- Self-motivated and comfortable working both independently and as a member of a team
- Sense of humor and adaptability in ever-changing environment
Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; long term disability; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; bilingual stipends; and 401k retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications: Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply as early as possible, and no later than Friday, March 30, 2018. Please send cover letter, resume, references, writing sample and diversity statement (see below) to: Maria Zaldivar, Interim Manager of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please reference Pro Bono Program Associate in your application.
In a separate page from your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include the working poor, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.