The Westside Justice Center (WJC) is a community-centered organization that promotes a holistic approach to justice by: 1) Facilitating legal literacy to reduce recidivism; 2) Providing legal and quasi- legal assistance to individuals; and 3) Establishing and nurturing community trust through restorative justice practices. WJC provides legal and quasi legal assistance on individual and community bases, and utilize the data collected through our intake work to prioritize legal, social and issues of justice to address on a policy level.
Justice Literacy and Empowerment Project:
WJC direct services support individuals in navigating social vs. legal issues, through interviews, case reviews and coaching. Our case management takes a problem solving approach, where we assist individuals in determining the best course of action to overcome hardships and achieve their objectives. We employ different practices such as alternative dispute resolution and restorative justice practices, support individuals in pro se proceedings and connect clients to resources and opportunities using our referral network of affordable legal services, partner organizations and other agencies. We believe communities who use legal and justice systems to their benefit are better able to address structural barriers and reduce the risk of violence and harm.
Volunteer Coordinator and Capacity Building Officer Responsibilities:
- Volunteer Recruitment and Placement: Develop and cultivate partnerships with local Law Schools to create internships, externships and volunteer programs for law students; Develop and cultivate partnerships with Law Firms and create pro-bono collaborations; Develop a system for volunteer screening and assignments.
- Volunteer mobilization: Develop a system to assign, track and manage volunteer work.
- Volunteer Training and Development: Develop volunteer handbook; Write training curriculum for volunteers.
- WJC Referral Network: Develop and cultivate partnerships with community partners, governmental agencies, and local law.
- Community Outreach and Engagement: Develop platforms for community engagement and constituents relationships through participatory deliberations, digital media etc.; Develop strategy for grassroots fundraising and organize events.
See Americorps website for further details on VISTA benefits.
See Americorps website for details on VISTA benefits.
Minimum Education Required