Details: Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a part-time, 10 month position and includes 4 weeks of school holidays.
Living Classroom Program Manager
For the Campbell Union Elementary School District
April 2, 2018
The Living Classroom Program Manager is responsible for garden-based education program services for 6 elementary schools in the Campbell Union Elementary School District providing direct instruction and managing trained volunteer docents to instruct hands-on lessons in science, math and social studies that take place primarily in school gardens. The position requires complex management, training, community outreach, teaching, and administrative tasks.
This is a 10-month, part time position during the school year with the expectation of an average work week of 25-30 hours. Start date: August, 2018.
- Learn the scope of the garden-based lessons and becomes skilled in presenting all of the units in the
- Enthusiastically and professionally lead lessons to grade K-3 classes and model best practices during lessons to support learning by observing volunteer docents.
- Serve as an assistant docent as needed to enable and observe new lead docents.
Docent Training and Support
- Work with Program Director to recruit, train, retain and support volunteer docents with goal of having a team of 12 docents by the end of the school year, with at least 6 actively providing lessons at any given time.
- Reinforce learning from training sessions for docents on specifics of lesson content and presentation and outdoor classroom management. Give individual training to docents needing additional help.
- Work with Program Director to develop publicity material to recruit docents, classroom parent volunteers and other volunteers from school and broader community.
- Organize and staff back to school events to promote program and recruit docents. Organize, publicize and present 2-3 informational meetings at the beginning of the school year for prospective docents and other volunteers.
o Manage correspondence for the program including communications
with teachers and docents with respect to all scheduled lessons.
- Responsible for developing and updating master lesson calendar through Caspio software platform.
- Provide input to Living Classroom Program Director regarding edits to lesson plans or ideas for new lessons.
- Manage Living Classroom Program Assistant to assure lesson kits are assembled, resupplied, and ready for delivery or pick up for each lesson.
- Manage Living Classroom Gardener to make sure all gardens are prepared for lessons.
- Periodically submit updates about CUSD program or other pertinent items to the Program Director and create, distribute and present annual and mid-year report for interested parties.
- Publicize program on an ongoing basis through the local media, e-newsletters, school newsletters and events, and presentations to school PTAs and community organizations.
- Demonstrated instructional skills and enthusiasm for teaching elementary school grade students in hands-on, outdoor, garden-based lessons. At least two years experience in elementary grade student instruction, formal or informal.
- BA or BS degree. Background in life sciences, education, or environmental studies helpful.
- Excellent writing skills and professional manner for electronic, phone, and in person communications with teachers, docents, community members.
- Ability to multi-task between teaching lessons and performing communications and administrative duties.
- Technologically literate in basic word processing, Excel, Google applications, and online databases.
- Bilingual or multilingual applicants are preferred.
- Must be available for instruction and/or training sessions during the school day hours which generally run M-F 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, be able to drive to school sites and move lesson kits in and out of vehicles and into classrooms with a dolly. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Must have own cell phone.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Living Classroom provides a competitive salary and medical reimbursement.
Location: The position will be located within the boundaries of the Campbell Union Elementary School District at a school or administration site in either Campbell or west San Jose. Job entails very frequent travel to 6 elementary schools within the District in the first year. Mileage reimbursement is available for travel from office to school sites or other travel as necessary for the job.
Application Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. It is our aim to hire the position by early June for an August start date.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to info@Living-Classroom.org with “CUSD Program Manager” in the subject line. Please describe your relevant experience and qualifications.
We value and promote diversity in the workplace and we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds
About Living Classroom
Living Classroom inspires students to learn and value our natural world
through garden-based education. We empower the next generation by growing environmental champions, inquisitive learners, and healthy eaters.
We currently provide comprehensive Next Generation Science Standard aligned lessons to students across 3 school districts in 22 schools, grades K-8, serving over 9,000 students annually.
For more information, visit www.living-classroom.org
We offer medical insurance reimbursement and mileage reimbursement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter summarizing relevant experience and background and resume. Questions about the position can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.