The Democratic Attorneys General Association provides political and policy support to Democratic State Attorneys General in their mission to protect citizens, promote progress and support civil rights.
Reports To: Policy Director
Salary Range: $100,000-$115,000
DAGA is looking for a DEPUTY POLICY DIRECTOR who will support the policy work of Democratic Attorneys General throughout the country. The Deputy Policy Director will report to the Policy Director and advise on key progressive policy issue areas such as racial equity, criminal justice reform, reproductive rights, workers’ rights, healthcare, consumer protection, immigration, and environmental issues. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are highly encouraged to apply.
Ideally, the Deputy Policy Director will be based in Washington, D.C. However, qualified candidates may be considered for remote work with the expectation of frequent travel.
- Support long term progressive policy goals of DAGA in support of Democratic Attorneys general throughout the country
- Deepen relationships with existing partners and build new relationships with other organizations to collaborate and further the strategic programmatic initiates in priority issue areas
- Track actions taken by Attorneys General, including coalition lawsuits and important court opinions, and closely monitor legislation at the state and federal level
- Support quarterly policy conferences, including organizing and managing policy panels
- Provide effective policy support internally to other members of the DAGA team, including reviewing materials for accuracy
- Other projects as assigned by the Policy Director
The ideal candidate will have:
- Advanced degree required; JD preferred
- Prior experience directly supporting an elected official or in the Office of (state) Attorney General
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including superior editing and proofreading skills
- Additional fluency in a language other than English is highly desired
- Strong record of advocating for progressive values, including prior work on racial equity issues and/or coalition building
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop and meet goals in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with key issues for progressive advocacy groups, including labor unions
- Detail-oriented with the ability to maintain confidential information, knowledge of current events
- Prior campaign experience is a plus
- Humor, initiative, and openness to evolving responsibilities
Please submit resume, cover letter, and references here: https://grnh.se/8925798b3us
- DAGA’s office is open 9 AM – 6 PM Eastern, but extended and nontraditional work hours are required.
- DAGA offices are in downtown DC but are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. DAGA is currently accommodating remote work, although the position will likely be DC-based once DAGA reopens its office.
- DAGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process onboarding procedures remotely, as necessary.
- DAGA offers a generous benefits package that includes fully paid health, dental, vision, short-term, long-term, and life insurance policies, pretax spending accounts, monthly remote work stipend, or monthly transit benefit.
- DAGA values a truly diverse workforce and is committed to a culture of inclusivity, respect, and integrity.
- We strongly encourage people with disabilities, people of color, transgender and non-binary people, and people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- DAGA is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex: age; marital status; personal appearance; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; family responsibilities; disability; genetic information; credit Information; status as a victim or family member of a victim of domestic violence, a sexual offense, or stalking. DAGA will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.