Details: Pay is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Annual reviews include consideration of a raise.
Job Opportunity: Southwest Pennsylvania Outreach Coordinator
Job Type: Organizing and outreach
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Ideal start date is April 2018.
Clean Air Council strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and those with disabilities to apply.
About Clean Air Council
The Council is a member-supported environmental organization serving the Mid-Atlantic Region for 50 years. The Council is dedicated to protecting and defending everyone’s right to breathe clean air and uses public education, community action, government oversight, and enforcement of environmental laws to advocate for a clean and healthy environment.
The Council's team of policy analysts, planners, environmental health educators, attorneys, engineers, and community organizers work to advocate for a cleaner environment, healthier lives for communities facing pollution, and the ability of local residents to have meaningful input on the decisions that impact their health, environment, and quality of life.
The Council seeks to hire an outreach coordinator to raise awareness about and develop and implement campaigns to protect air quality and public health in southwest Pennsylvania. The outreach coordinator will work with other staff to implement Clean Air Council’s Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air initiative. The coordinator will help establish 100 groups of 10 neighbors each in southwest Pennsylvania and support these volunteers in taking action to address local and regional air pollution sources affecting their lives.
- Educate the public, including residents and local groups, about the negative air quality and health impacts of major air pollution sources.
- Relationship-building with community leaders through one-on-one meetings and attendance of organizational or municipal meetings.
- Recruit volunteers to lead or participate in Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air groups.
- Facilitate strategy sessions with local groups to plan local campaign on air pollution issues as part of the Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air initiative.
- Provide ongoing support and opportunities for public participation or action to advance local and regional campaigns under the initiative.
- Write and produce educational materials, content for campaign actions, and action alerts to advance the Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air initiative.
- Provide training sessions to get residents the information and tools they need to fully participate in the decisions impacting their communities.
- At least two years of experience with community organizing.
- Excellent research, written and oral communications skills.
- Previous experience working on or leading an issue-based campaign.
- Experience with municipal land use policy-making preferred.
- Experience giving public presentations preferred.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Science/Studies/Policy, Community Organizing, or a related field preferred.
- Background with air quality issues or policy a plus.
- Traditional media and social media skills a plus.
- Applicants must be located in Southwestern Pennsylvania or be willing to relocate.
- Substantial travel will be required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must attend occasional evening or weekend events/meetings as part of the work week.
This job posting is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and not meant to be a comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities. The responsibilities and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in this description. Additional duties may be assigned. might be part of the job.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- 401K retirement plan
- RideEco transit benefit (Philadelphia ONLY)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Matt Walker, Advocacy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please cc John Lee (email@example.com) and use the subject “CAC SWPA Outreach Coordinator Application_[LAST NAME].”