43 Foundry Ave
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The College and Workforce Success Portfolio has an opening for a Full-Time Senior Administrative Assistant, reporting to a Senior Project Director, in Waltham, Massachusetts.
The College and Workforce Success Portfolio seeks to broaden participation in the workforce by: building the capacity of all youth—especially youth from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those with disabilities—to succeed in postsecondary education and a range of careers; creating opportunities for all students to participate in educational experiences that enable them to develop the academic, 21st century, and technical skills and dispositions necessary for success in a rapidly evolving workplace; building the capacity of practitioners, educational leaders, intermediaries, and systems to provide equitable educational experiences that work for all students; and conducting research to build knowledge of how to broaden participation in college and workforce success.
For this position, we seek a detail-oriented senior administrative assistant to be part of a team that supports a global network of partners working on a privately-funded science education outreach program. Leadership and technical assistance for the program is provided by the Program Office housed at EDC. The Program Office collaborates with the funder on a number of related initiatives. The desired senior administrative assistant would support the senior project director and other project staff, and support the Program Office and related initiatives. Work travel would be minimal, but may include 1–2 trips per year in the United States and internationally.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
With creative initiative, the Senior Administrative Assistant
• Provides administrative support to a center or department, or one or more projects, troubleshooting a variety of problems to ensure efficiency and smooth coordination
• Independently performs complex assignments requiring knowledge of content area and administrative systems
• Manages tasks of intermediate scope and complexity, such as
- document preparation, photocopying, cataloguing, and electronic data handling; database system maintenance
- information tracking
- correspondence and telephoning
- coordinating appointments and travel schedules
- coordinating meeting logistics and providing on-site assistance as needed
- taking notes in meetings and archiving/sending out summaries to project staff
- maintaining inventory
- supporting procurement and purchasing
- preparing and tracking documentation related to vendor contract and consulting agreements
- establishing and monitoring subawards
- processing invoices and ensuring their payment
- submitting and tracking reimbursements
- completing supply orders
• Determines accuracy of information before production of materials; reviews them for accuracy & quality; proposes format or presentation revisions or enhancements
• Performs various assigned duties to balance workload
• Plans, organizes, &/or independently carries out workload priorities to ensure smooth and timely coordination and production
• Extensively applies knowledge of technical language and organizational terms, procedures, systems, and policies
• May handle complex or confidential matters requiring significant discretion & judgment
The Senior Administrative Assistant
• Effectively interacts with diverse staff with competing priorities
• Influences decision-makers in situations without direct authority
• Engages in teamwork; accepts and utilizes feedback
• Coordinates with others to troubleshoot questions or problems and clarify issues
• Keeps managers apprised of status of work
• Is adaptable
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• HS diploma or GED plus 1–3 years advanced training
• AS degree or BA/BS desirable
• With HS diploma, 3–5 years related clerical, secretarial or administrative support experience, including advanced mastery of 3 or more computer applications
• With other degrees, 1–3 years related experience (as above)
• Organizational & analytical skills and aptitude for details
• Excellent communications skills: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. In addition, the candidate should have the capacity to take excellent action-oriented notes in meetings, and the ability to conduct effective outreach to partners.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); ability to learn and support use of collaboration software and applications for teleconferencing.
• Ability to organize and present materials and information so that they are understandable and accessible to others.
EDC, 43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please
As an EOE/AA employer, EDC does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.
Minimum Education Required