2011 Crystal Drive
Project Description: IFES is an international, nonprofit organization that supports the building of democratic societies. IFES provides targeted technical assistance to strengthen transitional democracies. Founded in 1987 as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, IFES has developed and implemented comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions in more than 130 countries. Job Responsibilities: The Program Officer is an intermediate professional position at IFES providing technical, subject matter support to HQ and field program teams. Under the supervision of the Inclusion Advisor, the Inclusion Officer will develop and implement tools and strategies to increase access to the political process for persons with disabilities. In addition to working on country-specific initiatives, the Program Officer will help support knowledge management of disability rights programming across the organization as well as develop substantial written materials for internal and external audiences.
- Providing policy and thematic advice to regional teams on mainstreaming the inclusion of persons with disabilities in democracy and governance programming.
- Supporting program teams in business development, program design, knowledge management and dissemination of IFES' work on access and inclusion.
- Providing technical support to the IFES Election Access Working Group.
- Maintaining, updating and creating internal and external resources and materials, including one-pagers, strategy papers, and standing briefs as well as helping to manage @IFESDisability on Twitter.
- Trouble shooting project problems. Identifying and implementing creative solutions.
- Supporting operations staff in developing inclusive internal policies and procedures.
- Representing IFES with donors, the international community and other stakeholders as assigned.
- Frequent travel to the field to support disability rights programming, training, conferences, assessments and evaluations.
- Qualifications: BA/BS [Masters preferred] with 4+ years experience in international development or related field.
- Professional experience in human rights or related field, including experience working on disability rights.
- Experience in democracy and governance field preferred.
- Highly skilled writer with experience in new business development and creating and editing content for public outreach.
- Experience conducting trainings, both for internal and external audiences.
- Familiarity with the international donor community and experience as an action-oriented interlocutor with actors at all levels.
- Program design and project management experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Detailed oriented and highly organized.
- Skilled communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible and resourceful with ability to fulfill a variety of roles and take initiative.
- Understanding of intersectional approach to program design and implementation, recognizing the unique barriers encountered by people with multiple social identities, such as women with disabilities and youth with disabilities.
- Ability to give general direction to staff, prioritize, and handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Collaborative, team oriented individual who is willing and capable of also working independently.
- Foreign language and/or sign language skills a plus.
Minimum Education Required