About Operation Spark
Operation Spark is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, hell bent on helping people train for and obtain high wage employment in software engineering. Our immersive training prepares students 8 times faster than universities, cutting down significantly on the cost and time associated with traditional degree programs. We are mission driven to help our grads into fantastic, lifelong career opportunities in tech, with our program boasting a 100% job placement rate.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be a strategic thought-partner who works closely with all Operation Spark teams and reports to the CEO. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and support the following areas: financial management including business planning, financial modeling & reporting, operations management including technology & infrastructure and human resources & administration.
The Director of Operations and Finance will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as Operation Spark continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Seek new funding opportunities through foundation grants and corporate sponsorship, work with appropriate Operation Spark team members to apply for and manage grant opportunities.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO; administer and review all financial model and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Maintain and update as necessary, a robust contracts management and financial management / reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Maintain and update as necessary, all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Work with building manager(s) to ensure a safe and comfortable work environment for staff and students
- Manage procurement and inventory process for all office and program material needs
- Ensure the organization stays compliant with all necessary state and city requirements
- Develop and maintain relationships with external partners and third-party organizations who will lend outside expertise to Operation Spark.
Technology & Infrastructure
- Ensure Operation Spark has the tech gear and supplies to operate.
Human Resources, & Administration
- Further develop Operation Spark’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, training and recruiting.
- Bi-weekly payroll submission for full-time staff and contractor programs.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, benefits and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Ensure that recruiting and hiring processes are consistent and streamlined.
- A background operations and finance as applied to tech and or education is preferred
- At least 5-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software including Google Docs, spreadsheets, presentations, Quickbooks & Bill.com
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Create and communicate program descriptions/presentations to internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Operation Spark
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org