Details: Salary commensurate with experience based on a rate range of $15 per hour
7111 5th Avenue
The Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks a professional, motivated and highly
organized individual to join our team as an Administrative Assistant (AA). The AA plays a critical role
in supporting our staff through a variety of clerical activities and related tasks. They also play an
important role in managing our reception area traffic and ensuring the safety of our employees and
community members. The Administrative Assistant (AA) reports to the Office Manager and works in
coordination with all the staff.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Maintain the appearance, organization, and safety of the office. This entails organizing and
tracking our inventory records, maintaining cleanliness and organization of mailboxes, reception
area, and supply closet, among other tasks;
● Provide superior customer service by warmly welcoming guests, identifying the purpose of their
visit and announcing them appropriately to staff;
● Managing all incoming and outgoing mail and packages;
● Answering and routing telephone calls and supervising others who answer incoming calls;
● Determine the priority of work assignments and processes in a prompt manner as directed.
● Routinely communicate with all staff and volunteers;
● Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operational data and clients.
● Clearly document all guests by taking their information as requested by the online platform and
ensure meticulousness and thoroughness in collecting the information;
● Makes each community member feel informed, understood, acknowledged, valued and that they
matter-- we are here to serve them!
● Resolve conflicts as they arise and support staff in managing clients’ expectations.
Level of Language Proficiency
● Proficient in written and spoken Arabic;
● Has a contagious and positive work ethic, inspires others and models the values of the Arab
American Association of New York;
● Demonstrate strong leadership skills: whether you're managing a group of interns or volunteers to
help in the front desk, you'll need to keep a level head, be able to multitask and have excellent
● Maintain a calm, cool, and collected demeanor at all times and be able to work with guests that
are under profound stress;
● Previous experience in a professional office preferable;
● Familiarity or experience with community-based organizations is an asset;
● Confidence and comfort with discussing and handling sensitive issues such as immigration status
and health care needs;
● Must be able to maintain and preserve clients’ confidentiality and personal information. The
sharing of such information is not tolerable and breaches AAANY’s confidentiality and code of
conduct policy and could be grounds for termination from your position;
● Extremely well-organized and manages their time effectively.
● Ability to multi-task effectively & comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
● Problem-solving nature, responds with urgency and creativity.
● Excellent communication skills, including in person, by phone, and by email
● An effective team player who contributes valuable ideas and feedback and can be counted on to
● Cultural competency and experience working in urban communities of color.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to applications@ArabAmericanNY.org with
“Administrative Assistant” in the subject line.