Day One seeks an energetic and detail-oriented HR & Operations Manager to join our Administration Team. This position works in collaboration and reports to the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA) to oversee human resources and operations. We’re seeking a team member who understands how effective social justice work is served by attention to detail, time management, and organization! The ideal candidate will also excel at managing multiple priorities while taking initiative and proactively forecasting needs.
Day One’s Administration Team (The A-Team) implements inclusive and equitable practices to ensure financial stability, run efficient operations, and creatively improve office culture in order to advance Day One’s mission.
DAY ONE OVERVIEW
Since 2003, Day One has devoted its full resources to preventing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, Day One partners with youth to end IPV through a combination of preventive and direct services. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service, and education service provision.
Day One is a growing and vibrant organization that is fully committed to its youth-centered mission. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others, and follow-through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment in this role is a must. This position will serve as the primary point person for all staff in their access to supplies, technology, and office resources.
Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Co-design and co-facilitate all employee, intern, and volunteer orientations; and assist with onboarding new employees and ensure their payroll, benefits, workspace, and technology needs are addressed.
• Offboard employees, interns, and volunteers and conduct exit interviews.
• Draft, prepare and publish updated employee, intern, and volunteer handbooks.
• Keep all internal documents such as org chart, contact sheet, etc. up to date.
• Participate in 2nd Round Interviews. Provide feedback on candidates.
• Manage employee accommodation requests. Create accommodation plans in partnership with the DFA and the employee’s supervisor; ensure the plan is implemented in accordance with relevant laws, and conduct check-in meetings with employees as needed.
• Conduct employee grievance procedures: In partnership with the DFA, conduct full investigations, including but not limited to, creating interview questions, co-facilitating meetings, and providing input on action plans.
• Lead benefits selection process: Research health and dental insurance options annually, participate in meetings with ADP benefits rep, and select plan with DFA. Communicate options, costs, and deadlines to staff and answer staff questions.
• Manage 401K plan via ADP on a monthly basis: Approve new eligible employees and complete any tasks requested by ADP. Complete annual Form 5500.
• Assist in visa processes as needed: Conduct research, prepare all necessary documents, and attend meetings with legal counsel and staff.
• Develop all content for monthly internal newsletter to keep staff updated with Administration-specific news.
• Coordinate and process background checks via ADPSelect.
• Serve as point of contact for external partners (ADP reps, employment attorney).
• Supervise and recruit Human Resources & Operations interns.
• Assist with creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and learning environment. Commit to principles of anti-racism, continual personal learning, and dismantling gender inequality
• Help staff individually and as a team thrive and experience a sense of belonging.
• Create and champion learning opportunities that build staff knowledge and skills for embedding equity and inclusion throughout our internal practices and organizational culture.
• Co-lead the design and incorporation of equity core competencies into job descriptions, strategic growth and professional development, and organizational values.
• Manage periodic compensation analyses to ensure staff are compensated competitively and equitably.
• Create a semi-monthly payroll report and coordinate with the Finance team to ensure accurate payroll submission each pay period.
• Develop and manage procedures and plans for return-to-office procedures, pandemic-driven off site work, facilities and equipment usage, disaster preparedness, and other workplace operations. Supervise maintenance of and changes to organization’s facilities, equipment and office lease.
• Ad hoc tasks as needed.
Operations and Office Management
• Maintain office inventory.
• Examine, propose, and implement technology-based tools and approaches to advance the evolving goals of the organization. (Near term priorities include digital solutions to enhance internal and external communications and knowledge management.) Oversee maintenance and improvements of information technology systems and data security.
• Support staff with any operations-related issues or questions that may arise.
• Research, negotiate, and implement organization’s insurance options, policies, and claims. Manage insurance renewals and requests: complete insurance renewal paperwork, process requests for insurance documents with funder information, and submit documents to funder.
• Maintain staff and intern seating assignments.
• Filing: Prepare, coordinate, and maintain filing systems.
• Ad hoc tasks as needed.
• Manage all organizational credit card purchases and the reconciliation process.
• Assist with the annual audit.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience working in Human Resources in an office setting. Strong oral and written communication skills are required, and proficiency with MS Office applications is essential.
• BA/BS or equivalent
• 3+ years of technical HR experience
• Enthusiasm for Day One’s mission and commitment to the empowerment of young people
• An ability to think outside the box
• Ability to work independently and in a collaborative setting
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• Experience with ADP & Expensify a plus
• Ability to use good judgment, take initiative, and make recommendations in resolving problems
• A collaborative team player able to build interpersonal relationships across departments
• Ability to approach Human Resources with an anti-racist lens, and willingness to learn
• Committed and open to learning; comfortable asking for and giving feedback
• Strategic Thinking: The ability to interpret, summarize, and synthesize information to create better understanding. The ability to select a path forward and/or develop appropriate solutions and take action consistent with available facts, constraints, opportunities, goals, and probable consequences.
• Project Management: The ability to initiate, plan, execute, monitor, evaluate, and close the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria within a specified time.
• High standards of confidentiality, sound judgment, discretion, and diplomacy; high degree of personal integrity, including the ability to manage sensitive or confidential information
• Capacity for courageous and caring conversations
• Visual creativity a plus
Day One seeks an energetic and detail-oriented HR & Operations Manager to join our Administration Team. This position works in collaboration and reports to the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA) to oversee…
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, 401k with match, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and generous vacation.
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, 401k with match, life insurance, flexible spending…
Application Process: For consideration, please send your resume and a cover letter to Laurie Lessage (she/her), Director of Finance & Administration at email@example.com, which explains clearly your fit for this role, the value you will add, and your ability to uphold a strong racial equity lens in all aspects of your work. Indicate "Human Resources & Operations Manager" in the subject line. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are genuinely committed to these principles of equity and inclusion, which are core to our organizational culture and our approach to service. To truly make a difference, we must ensure that our staff, partners, volunteers and supporters reflect the communities in which we work.
Application Process: For consideration, please send your resume and a cover letter to Laurie Lessage (she/her), Director of Finance & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org…