Jewish Student Life Coordinator-UC Berkeley Hillel
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
At UC Berkeley Hillel, we're looking for someone who is a creative professional with strong organizational, interpersonal, programming and communications skills to serve as the Jewish Student Life Coordinator (JSLC). The JSLC works within the team of other programming staff both collaboratively and independently. The JSLC should be passionate about student engagement using our peer to peer methodology, and empowering student leaders to create meaningful programming for the Jewish community.
What you're great at:
- Connecting with students in one on one conversations to help them engage with the Jewish community at Cal.
- Creating, implementing and supporting a diverse range of student programs and initiatives.
- Understanding the needs of college students and having a desire to interact with the diversity of students and constituents involved with UC Berkeley Hillel.
- Making Judaism accessible and relevant to others through your authentic Jewish story.
The right Jewish Student Life Coordinator will possess the following key attributes:
- Engaging – The JSLC must be an excellent and outgoing person who is interested in meeting with students one on one. They need to be able to help students connect with the greater Jewish community at Cal.
- Creative – The JSLC must be a creative thinker to best address the needs of the Jewish students. They should be someone that enjoys taking thoughtful risks that advance the mission of the organization.
- Organized – The JSLC needs to be organized and understand the big picture of the organization and how best to implement initiatives that best serve the UC Berkeley Hillel.
- Mentor and Relationship Builder– The JSLC will work closely with the Associate Director to supervise and mentor student groups.
What you'll bring to the job:
- You'll have a team-oriented approach to work, a strong work ethic, proven experience thinking and acting strategically to reach goals, a sense of humor, an ability to take risks and learn from situations when things don't turn out the way you thought they would.
- Preferred 1-2 years of work experience in a related field.
- Exceptional organization, leadership and communication skills.
- A strong proficiency and interest in social media.
As the Jewish Student Life Coordinator, a typical day may include:
- Meet a student for coffee at a local Berkeley cafe
- Attend a Jewish group program (Challah4Hunger braiding, Weekly BBQ, student group meeting)
- Be on campus to promote an upcoming event or Jewish holiday
- Work on a monthly op-ed in the local Jewish paper about an initiative taking place at UC Berkeley Hillel
- Meet with students to help them implement a student initiated program
- Pickling vegetables, making homemade cheese, studying Jewish text, and/or discussing Jewish identity during a Staff Learning session!
- Facilitating a Jewish text study about a topic that is relevant to students' lives and college experiences
- Joining students for Free Weekly Yoga at Berkeley Hillel or heading down together to the campus gym for a spin class
What you'll get out of it:
- Hillel offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The range for this position is $37,000-$45,000 depending on experience.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel abroad, particularly to Israel and developing world countries.
- Unlimited paid coffee dates with students.
- Flexible work hours.
- Practically unlimited t-shirts, Nalgene bottles and university swag.
About UC Berkeley Hillel:
UC Berkeley Hillel is currently undergoing a major building renovation, with the new building set to open in August 2018.
Berkeley Hillel is a private, not-for-profit organization that serves as the center for Jewish campus life at the University of California Berkeley. At Berkeley, we provide a nurturing environment for students to grow religiously, socially and ethically, while developing a love for Jewish community and Israel, with respect for other faiths and a broad understanding of what it means to be Jewish.
UC Berkeley Hillel is nationally recognized for its cutting edge approaches to engaging students in meaningful Jewish experiences. In 2017, Berkeley Hillel won the Eleanor Meyerhoff Katz Innovation Award. In 2016, UC Berkeley Hillel received the “Great Place To Work” award from Hillel International, for “creating a work environment that is collaborative, supportive, and fun.”
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UC Berkeley Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter. New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account. Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please i