120 South LaSalle Street, Suite 900
For over 50 years, LAF has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our staff and volunteers help resolve legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
In addition to representing individuals, we run community legal clinics, provide know-your-rights workshops, and work with community-based organizations to address emerging issues as well as persistent problems that affect families with low-incomes. Our work impacts about 30,000 people each year. At LAF we are engaged actively in dialogue regarding how legal services organizations can contribute to and further racial justice for low income communities.
Position: Housing Advocate (Paralegal)
Responsibilities: The HIV Community Housing Advocate secures housing or stabilizes housing placements for people living with HIV who are, or are at risk of being, homeless.
The Housing Advocate:
· works with private and subsidized housing providers to locate housing for clients;
· coordinates with the AIDS Foundation of Chicago and other funders to secure emergency housing and utility assistance to prevent homelessness;
· with LAF’s attorneys, seeks informal resolution of landlord-tenant disputes;
· participates actively in Chicago’s HIV services delivery community, educating tenants about their legal rights, as well as engaging community organizations to build awareness of legal rights and LAF services; and
· collects data and other information for grant-reporting.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a college degree, excellent oral and written skills, and a demonstrated commitment to assisting people living with HIV. Experience working with communities on Chicago’s south side will be preferred. Basic internet and computer skills are required, including familiarity with programs such as MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Good organizational skills and zealous advocacy are essential.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary: Depends on experience. LAF offers generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of two professional references by June 16, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “HIV Community Housing Advocate” in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability, and encourages candidates impacted by the HIV