360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an energetic Supervising Attorney with a commitment to social justice to join our Civil Action Practice.
Since opening our doors in 1997, The Bronx Defenders has served over 300,000 clients in Bronx County. The Bronx Defenders pioneered a model of legal representation called holistic defense, designed to fight both the causes and consequences of court-involvement. Our staff of over 280 lawyers and advocates work on interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom work to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy to our clients. The Bronx Defenders also houses a community organizing and an impact litigation team, serving as a community resource and force for systemic change. We engage with clients, community residents, and policymakers as we seek ways to better serve the Bronx community and enhance access to justice for all.
Our Civil Action Practice provides comprehensive legal services to our clients and their families by fully integrating civil representation with our criminal and family defense practices. Our goal is to minimize the severe and often unforeseen fallout from criminal and family court proceedings and facilitate the seamless reintegration of our clients into the community. The current Civil Action Practice attorneys and legal advocates represent clients in every forum in New York City – administrative, state, and federal – to address these problems. Our civil staff attorneys and advocates provide comprehensive representation to assist our clients in overcoming civil legal barriers to housing, eviction, employment, and public benefits, as well as addressing instances of police misconduct, criminal record errors, and civil forfeiture.
The Civil Action Practice seeks a Supervising Attorney to work closely with the Managing Director to supervise and mentor the general civil staff attorneys and legal advocates, as well as provide comprehensive civil legal representation in collaboration with our interdisciplinary teams.
The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for:
- Implementing practice priorities, assigning work, and supervising, supporting, and assessing staff to assure high-quality legal representation
- Carrying an individual caseload proportionate to their supervisory responsibilities
- Providing comprehensive advocacy and representation to help our clients resolve a broad range of civil legal problems such as barriers to housing, eviction, employment, public benefits, forfeiture, police misconduct, criminal record errors, and disability
- Representing clients in a range of contexts, including negotiations, administrative and judicial proceedings, and trials
- Working with the Director to develop and implement trainings and public education to the community
Qualified applicants should:
- Be admitted to practice law in New York
- Have a minimum of 4 years of litigation experience, with specific experience in housing law
- Have demonstrated commitment to public interest law
- Have experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Have demonstrated experience supervising attorneys, advocates or interns
- Be creative, flexible, independent, and highly motivated leaders
- Have excellent organizational skills, writing ability, and communication skills
- Experience with reentry issues is highly desirable
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified. To apply, please click APPLY TO THIS JOB ONLINE and upload your resume and cover letter in one document when prompted. Applications without cover letters will NOT be considered.
Please contact Runa Rajagopal, Managing Director, Civil Action Practice, via email at email@example.com with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.