970 Grace Avenue
Join a community of deeply committed teaching artists, arts administrators, families and partners dedicated to the power of the arts to inspire and ignite social change. Destiny Arts Center, a national leader in creative youth development, is seeking a strong arts early education teaching artist to join our team.
For nearly 30 years, Destiny Arts Center (DAC) has served as a cultural institution and artistic home for thousands of Bay Area youth and their families. DAC is committed to supporting young people as they develop their skills as artists, leaders, and advocates for peaceful, powerful and creative communities.
a. Customary Work Hours: Saturday, 8:45-12:00 plus the opportunity to take on additional residencies at our Arts Center in North Oakland and in schools and after school programs.
b. Customary Work Days: Monday- Saturday
c. Part Time (average of 4-15 hours per week)
d. $40-$50 per hour instructional rate
The Teddy Bear Hip Hop Teaching Artist works hands-on with young people, ages 3-6 years old at both our North Oakland Arts Center as well as through our School & Community Programs, teaching Hip Hop Dance. Teaching Artists are expected to embody Destiny’s culture of welcome and carry Destiny’s values into the venues where they teach. Teaching Artists are expected to maintain a high level of professionalism, artistic mastery and administrative accountability. Teaching Artists must embody the principals of nonviolence and Destiny’s Warriors Code in their interactions with the local community, setting the example of engaged, respectful communication with everyone they encounter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Select and plan all class content, which include opening and closing circles, performing arts technique, choreography, and scaffold opportunities for creative expression, exploration and reflection. This includes selecting age appropriate music for choreography for dance classes.
- Attend teaching artist processional development sessions monthly.
- Work closely with Destiny’s Arts Center Manager and program staff to make sure that all duties are handled efficiently in all of your classes.
- Set clear classroom expectations and provide positive behavior management.
- Role model to all youth the adherence to all Destiny agreements and expectations.
- Wear a Destiny t-shirt when teaching classes at either Destiny Arts Center or with our school and community partners
- Complete and submit accurate time sheets in a timely manner.
Non Physical Demands/Qualifications:
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching youth preferably with a youth development approach and teaching movement arts.
- Passionate about working with young people and able to manage classroom time and events in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to motivate, facilitate and direct youth.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with management, staff, and clients (students & parents/guardians).
- Must be patient with the ability to clearly explain and instruct youth in the discipline being taught.
- Negative TB Test.
- Live Scan Test
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of Destiny Arts Center.
- Experience working with diverse youth populations.
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with (or ability to learn) Word and Excel.
- Ability to create lesson plans for short-term residency programs.
- Ability to teach in schools with frequent interruptions, some challenging students and/or administrators.
- Maintain consistent communication through email, phone and in person.
- Reliable, personal transportation is preferred
- Multilingual, people of color and LGBTQQI2S candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply: email a resume and cover letter with the subject line: DAC Teaching Artist to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be accepted. No phone calls or inquiries.
Minimum Education Required