Criterion Institute is the leading think tank focused on using finance as a tool for social change. We work with social change-makers to demystify finance and equip them with the knowledge and skills to engage with and shift financial systems. We also work with financial actors, supporting them with tools and resources to better incorporate data on social issues, with close attention to gender patterns, into the structures, processes and analysis of their investment strategies.
We are working toward a future where the power of our financial systems is widely used for social good. Our work is informed by our values of grace, hospitality and the power of invitation. Culturally, Criterion Institute is a collaborative, inquisitive and fast-paced place to work. Team members might spend one day connecting with leaders of capital markets in Asia, and the next day facilitating a meeting of community organizers in Milwaukee. We work across a breadth of sectors, industries and geographies all focused on finance as a tool for social change.
As has been the case for sixteen years, the Criterion team works in a virtual office environment – from home offices or urban hubs. All Criterion staff members are provided with sufficient equipment to set up a home office and are expected to work collaboratively and independently.
This position is required to be in office on occasion, therefore must reside within commuting distance of Haddam, CT.
We are seeking an ambitious and organized Assistant to join our team. As Criterion Institute scales as a nonprofit, we are at a critical point for the organization – one that requires maturity, multitasking, focusing on a diverse set of activities, eagerness to learn and the ability to think broadly and act strategically.
At a high level, the Executive Assistant will play a three-pronged role within the Criterion team. Most importantly, our new team member will maintain a focus on tracking and supporting strategic relationships between Criterion and our donors and partners. Second, the individual will support the President in her day-to-day activities, ensuring that her time is leveraged. Finally, the role is responsible for technical support for the team on our systems such as Salesforce and Microsoft Office 365 (Sharepoint, Outlook).
This is a position with remarkable access to institutional leaders who are at the forefront of rethinking the economy. Criterion’s fifteen year history gives us incredible access with a depth of relationships across the field. And this position, tied directly to Criterion’s president, is directly in the flow of those relationships.
Relationship Management Responsibilities:
- Support managing of relationships for the organization; likely to include support for personal communications, tracking of funding and partnership opportunities, maintaining processes around relationship management.
- Provide advance planning for events and travel ensuring potential opportunities to further development partnerships are considered, logistics run smoothly, and details are worked out for maximum impact of each trip. Coordinate logistics around events hosted by Criterion and team meetings hosted in Haddam.
- Track and manage regular contact with partners to ensure projects that expand Criterion’s mission are in progress and show any changes in background accordingly. Meticulously manage each relationship’s details in Salesforce.
- Work with Director of Engagement to maintain tracking systems, including dashboards and performance metrics.
- Work with team on drafting of grant proposals or specific financial asks connected to projects undertaken; maintain a focus on fundable opportunities and tracking of funding sources.
- Support development and maintenance of publicity and other materials that support relationship management.
Presidential Support Responsibilities:
- Organize meetings and coordinate calendaring across multiple time zones nationally and internationally.
- Prepare and edit correspondence and drafts on behalf of the President to facilitate relationship development strategies.
- Develop and implement day-to-day systems that leverage the work of the President.
- Prepare materials as needed in office in Haddam.
Technical Support Responsibilities:
- Maintain Salesforce, including scheduling updates, trainings, and ensuring the system is running efficiently and effectively.
- Support the team in remote offices, ensuring they have what they need to do their work. Troubleshoot technology problems as they arise.
- Capture the outcomes and next steps from meetings and coordinate with the team to ensure follow up.
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent)
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and task management
- Strong technical skills including proficiency of Salesforce, Google Apps, Wordpress, and Microsoft Office 365 including Sharepoint. For Salesforce the position requires proficiency as a user and systems administrator
- Demonstrated record of successful communication strategy, strong writing skills, network interactions, proposal preparation, and successful synthesis of broad ideas into easily digestible information.
- Familiarity with impact investing space a plus
- Thoughtful and deliberate commitment to social change; comfort with and attraction towards innovative approaches
- Comfort with engaging with and understanding the complexity of Criterion’s various audiences and making connections between donors, partners, and projects.
- Intellectual depth – including ability to process and communicate complex ideas
- Clear ambition and eagerness to perform at a high level – willing to take on challenges, navigate through ambiguity and anticipate next steps
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter expressing your interest in our mission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries without a cover letter that demonstrates a knowledge of our mission and a clear statement of how our mission aligns with your goals will not be considered.
This position is required to be in office on occasion, therefore must reside within commuting distance of Haddam, CT (within 90 miles).