Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
7 Hanover Square
Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization’s annual operating budget is over $30 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 290, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us
- We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
- We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
- We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
- We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
- We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
- We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
- We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
- We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
- We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
The New York Legal Assistance Group seeks a talented, innovative, and mission-driven Director of Communications to manage our branding, public and press relations, and marketing. The ideal candidate has a background in integrated communications and, most critically, possesses excellent written and oral story-telling skills. The candidate must have demonstrated success working with multiple tight deadlines and stewardship of marketing projects from inception to launch. The candidate must also demonstrate a hands-on approach as this position manages a large volume of work with a small staff and a proven ability to work with others in a cooperative spirit and to provide leadership when called upon.
The position is a member of senior staff and will supervise a Communications Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Press and Public Relations (40%)
- Strategically prioritize media opportunities. NYLAG receives a high volume of incoming media requests, and candidate must be able to quickly evaluate which ones will provide the most impact for resources expended
- Proactively pitch media stories and NYLAG subject matter experts
- Cultivate and manage press relationships to maximize positive coverage of NYLAG’s work
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other materials for staff as needed
Marketing and Branding (40%)
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan that strengthens NYLAG’s brand identity among key stakeholders including donors, government officials, foundations, community partners
- Prepare and update materials, including flyers as needed
- Develop and protect brand, ensure consistency of materials across organization, and perform final review for all external-facing NYLAG documents and presentations
- Collaborate with Director of Philanthropy on fundraising collateral
Digital Marketing and Social Media (10%)
- Develop strategy for expanding NYLAG’s online presence
- Produce content that highlights NYLAG’s innovative work
- Use analytics to measure and report on the performance of digital marketing campaigns and social media traffic
- Assist with developing mechanisms and content for internal communications
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years’ experience with communications/marketing/PR
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plan
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Experience with social media across a variety of platforms
- Experience with content management systems and Google Analytics preferred
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Ability to collaborate with various staff members and move fluidly from team to team
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required