Staff Attorney - Immigration and Refugee Services
- Job posted by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc
1530 James M Wood Boulevard
The Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to immigrants in removal proceedings and related state court proceedings, focus assist particularly on complex cases involving Citizenship, DACA, Special Immigrant/Religious visa petition, Adjustment of Status, Visa Abroad, T and U visas. The Staff Attorney will be expected to carry a caseload consisting of a variety of affirmative and defensive immigration cases. The Staff Attorney will report directly to the Program Director of the Immigration and Refugee Program.
- Represent clients in a wide-range of immigration matters such as adjustment of status, naturalization, family-based visa petitions, DACA applications, VAWA self-petitions, T visas, U visas, and I-601 waivers.
- Provide legal oversight during group processing events.
- Provide zealous representation to Catholic Charities’ clients in front of the Executive Office for Immigration Review, the Board of Immigration Appeals, and Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Be familiar with and follow all internal policies and procedures regarding representation of clients and community education standards.
- Juris Doctorate degree;
- Active, California State Bar License,
- Experience (including internships) in the practice of law, preferably in immigration and/or public interest law;
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills required;
- Experience working with vulnerable client populations, particularly with children, is a huge plus;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to zealously pursue novel and “outside-the-box” legal theories;
- Spanish language proficiency required and will be tested at time of interview;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
Location: Los Angeles - Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
Generous benefits package to include the following:
- Life Insurance
- Paid vacation (15 days per year)
- Paid Sick (10 days per year)
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Retirement Plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language proficiency required and will be tested at time of interview;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Simultaneously email cover letter, resume and at least 2 references to: (1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, fax to (213) 251-3402, email@example.com EEO; and (2) Steve Lee, Director of Immigration Services, emailed to Slee@ccharities.org, 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., LA, CA 90015. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.