Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
At BAHS, we are looking for educators who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world. Discover more about BAHS.
The school social worker provides services to support scholars, families and staff, including counseling, diagnostic assessment, referrals, and reporting. This work takes place at the school site, and is fully aligned with Ascend's mission, vision, core values and educational program. Social workers at Ascend join a talented team of educators who are deeply committed to changing the lives of their students. In addition to weekly professional development meetings, school staff participates in weekly coaching sessions that target individualized growth goals.
The high school social worker will collaborate with teaching staff to determine the best setting to meet scholars' needs (i.e., individual counseling, social skill development groups, mentoring classes), and meet with faculty and staff on an ongoing basis to help measure progress and discuss strategies for scholars requiring support services. Additionally, the social worker will:
- Complete diagnostic assessments to identify scholars' needs and making referrals as appropriate
- Consult with appropriate professional staff, external agencies and other organizations as appropriate based on scholars' needs
- Serve as a member of school-based teams to support scholars and provide confidential guidance to faculty and staff
- Counsel students individually and in groups
- Contribute as needed in the development and/or implementation of the school's social and emotional development and growth curriculum
- Maintain, in a secure location, up-to-date confidential files on every scholar who receives counseling
- Interview and communicate with families as appropriate
- Complete confidential written reports of all cases and meetings
- Make oral presentations of assessments, diagnostics, and observations, in accordance with all confidentiality laws and regulations
- Complete reports as may be required by federal, state, or local agencies, laws, and regulations
- Maintain client confidentiality
Staff and reporting relationships
The high school social worker reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the director of student services.
- Master's degree in Social Work and New York State School Social Worker or School Counselor certification are required, LCSW preferred
- Experience working in urban schools is preferred
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
- Commitment to creating a structured, predictable and joyful environment for children
- A “can do” attitude and the enthusiasm to be a hard-working, team player who is relentless in the pursuit of the school's academic objectives
- An openness to accept and implement feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
- A strong belief in the Ascend mission
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required