We seek a persuasive, articulate, collaborative, and detail-oriented Development Manager to join the Resource Development team to drive Foundation leads, proposal development, grant reporting and overall development communications in support of Fair Trade USA’s planned growth and scale. This position reports to the Director of Institutional Philanthropy.
Fair Trade USA is a nonprofit social enterprise with a strong earned revenue stream. Philanthropic investment from the Resource Development team supports program innovation, expansion, piloting new approaches, and bringing proven ideas to scale. The Development Manager will support the Resource Development team in all core areas of work, including funder research, writing and editing development communications (including LOIs, proposals and reports), and cultivation / stewardship and relationship management that enhance the organization’s ability to acquire and retain institutional funding partners. This position collaborates closely with Fair Trade USA category teams – Seafood, Produce & Floral, Coffee, Consumer Packaged Goods, Apparel & Home Goods – as well as with our Impact, Certification, and Tech teams to develop philanthropic projects and programs, and acts as a bridge between these teams and philanthropy program officers.
The Development Manager will also manage the grants, ensuring timely compliance with all funder deliverables, budget tracking, and administration.
• Work closely with the Director of Institutional Philanthropy, VP of Development, other team members and departments to help meet annual and long-term organizational fundraising goals
• Research and synthesize funder insights to develop a strong pipeline that will significantly increase the foundation (corporate and private) portfolio and revenue
• Responsible for annualized revenue goals, to be agreed upon with the Director, which may increase over time as appropriate
• Responsible for direct relationship management and cultivation of funder contacts
• Develop compelling concept notes, proposals, and funder communications (both written and oral)
• Lead grant management, including grant reporting, compliance, and budget tracking
• Support project and program design and budget development in collaboration with Supply Chain, Business Development, Innovation, and Finance departments
• Represent Fair Trade USA at speaking events, donor meetings, networking functions, and conferences in the evenings or weekends as needed
• Responsible for keeping accurate, up-to-date funder and grants data, as well as project management, in Salesforce
• Minimum of five (5) years work experience in developing LOIs, concept notes, and grant proposals and nonprofit development communications and proven ability to meet fundraising goals
• Strong English verbal and written communication skills and capacity for communicating persuasively and effectively
• Ability to synthesize and present complex information in a simple, meaningful way
• Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment; able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly
• Demonstrated interest in learning and understanding concepts related to fair trade, international development, environmental resource management, sustainable development or related fields
• Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite with the ability to format and design templates
• Expertise in Salesforce or equivalent CRM tool
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally as appropriate
• Knowledge of philanthropic trends and connections to or familiarity with foundations, corporations or international development agencies and firms preferred
• Strong research skills and analytic reporting experience preferred
• Self-motivated, attention to detail, patience and the ability to stay calm under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines –a good sense of humor is key!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of Jessica Galeria, Director Institutional Philanthropy. Selected candidates will be asked to submit a professional grantwriting sample.