1730 M Street, NW
Equal Justice Works seeks a talented and experienced Associate Director (Unit Deputy Director) to support a growing and dynamic unit. The successful applicant will work closely with the Unit Director in operational planning, strategy, and the day to day management of high-performing, high-impact “corps” fellowship programs. The position partners closely with the Unit Director to chart the Unit’s operational path to be responsive to growth and innovation opportunities.
The position holder brings a leadership track record in managing senior level staff and nonprofit program operations, including finance and staff resourcing functions, coupled with expertise in program monitoring, evaluation and learning. The role will include program strategy, design, and management. The position leads a team of senior managers and grants finance position.
· Supports the Director in strategic planning and coordination of unit operational goals and change efforts
· Provides business and program expertise to inform program design, program performance and management, and program integration within the unit and across the organization.
· Leads program teams to build excellence in program identification, program set up and planning, program implementation, outcomes monitoring and evaluation.
· Ensures streamlined high quality operationalization of existing programs and securing new programs, including proposal development and resource allocation.
· Supports the Director in managing unit resources and budget.
· Leads, coaches, and mentors unit management team and supports professional development.
· Develops program management manual, minimum standards in collaboration with the Unit Director.
· Advises program managers on program technical assistance, fellowship curriculum design, content development, and learning systems.
· Represents Unit/organization externally at conferences/stakeholder meetings.
· Undertakes other duties as assigned by Unit Director or as directed by Executive Vice President.
· Advanced degree required, JD and/or MPA or MBA strongly preferred, with seven years of work experience, with at least five years of program management at a senior managerial level in a nonprofit organization, foundation or government agency.
· Business acumen combined with deep knowledge across one or more relevant programmatic areas such as international programs, grants, civil legal aid, fellowship programs, and access to justice issues. Knowledge of federal grants required.
· Track record of delivering superior results, commanding respect and assuming leadership roles.
· Diplomatic and skillful in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among diverse internal and external stakeholders.
· Superior judgment, with an ability to maintain professional, upbeat attitude and sense of humor.
· Exceptional analytical, writing & verbal skills for communicating with a broad and diverse audiences, including stakeholders across the practice, policy, community & political sectors.
· Ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results, including strong ability to source and analyze data and ability to rapidly learn, organize, and synthesize information.
· Solutions-oriented, with strong conceptual and innovative thinking in complex, dynamic and/or completely new situations.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively influence, lead and develop a senior level team.
· Demonstrated commitment to growth, meeting a high bar, and contributing to a positive workplace culture of continuous improvement.
Comprehensive benefits package commensurate with education and experience. Our salaries are competitively market-benchmarked, and benefits are top notch, including employer paid health and dental insurance, 401k with match, FSA, generous leave allowance, professional development fund, and LRAP. We are committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive work force, and encourage all qualified applicants.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in area relevant to job responsibilities. Preferred minimum of 5 years’ experience in working with federal grants and contracts, preferably with at least one of those years in a compliance or finance role. PMP certification preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
The position is available immediately, and will be open until we find the right candidate. Applicants should send resume and three references, cover letter describing in detail their experience, qualifications and why they would be a good fit. Please note: Phone calls and direct emails will not be accepted. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS is an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability or political affiliation.