Details: Hourly rate of $16 for 20 hours a week (after school)
2701 Wilshire Blvd.
Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) provides underserved youth with exceptional programs in academics, arts and athletics within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities.
Our core values are: Respect, Responsibility, Positive Communication and Support.
SmartStart Program Assistant & Teacher will provide support and information to students (1st-5th grade) who need academic guidance to foster academic discipline and commitment, to improve in homework production, and to improve in levels of general school subjects. Program Assistant will also assist the Director in completing routine responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement a daily after school program for elementary students in a classroom setting.
- Take initiative to communicate with students’ parents and students’ teachers about student progress, school requirements for homework, academic and social needs, and parent participation.
- Provide homework support in a classroom setting (Mon-Thurs).
- Plan and teach two learning centers to a group of up to 16 students on a weekly basis. Learning Centers should incorporate key concepts and understandings that mirror the California State Standards of grade-level curriculum, but do so in a way that incorporates multiple intelligences and more opportunities to work with manipulatives, as well as utilizing real-world examples.
- Work with SmartStart staff on the intake, selection, and assessment of prospective students.
- Assist the Director with data inputting.
- Well-qualified applicants are those in pursuit of a career in primary elementary education.
- Experience teaching and working with children ages (6-11) from underserved, urban communities.
- Monitor the safe arrival and departure of students from HOLA’s facilities.
- Afternoon hours Mon-Fri (2:30pm-6:30pm) during the academic school year.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
· May perform other duties as assigned.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
· Ability to be a strong role model for youth during all working hours.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- B.A. in Education or Child Development or currently enrolled in a university or college
·Bilingual in Spanish and English.
·Experience working with youth in a classroom setting.
·Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
·Skilled in word, excel and Google docs.
·Experienced in prioritizing and multi-tasking in a busy work environment.
·Excellent communication skills.
·A strong desire to interface with and serve as a role model for youth.
·Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The building environment does not provide air conditioning and heat in all areas. Outdoor work is expected in some cases.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
HOLA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Part time benefits include vacation, sick and holiday pay
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English a must
Minimum Education Required