Details: Compensation commensurate with experience.
NJCA is hiring an Organizer to work with and mobilize small business owners on progressive policy issues with the New Jersey Main Street Alliance.
New Jersey Citizen Action (NJCA) is a statewide advocacy organization that fights for social, racial and economic justice. We work on a broad range of issues, including quality and affordable health care for all, economic justice, workers rights, affordable utilities, consumer financial protection, and tax/budget fairness. NJ Main Street Alliance (NJ-MSA), a project of New Jersey Citizen Action, is an advocacy network of 1500 small businesses in New Jersey. NJ-MSA raises the voices of small business owners on policy issues that impact themselves, their employees, and the community.
Organizer must possess 3+ years experience in successful issue and / or political campaigns and have a passion for grassroots organizing, developing leaders, and building a powerful network of progressive small business owners in the state.
This organizer will spend a large portion of their time organizing small business owners on tax fairness, health care reform, family friendly workplace policies and other NJ-MSA priorities. The organizer will also spend some time working to recruit and mobilize community activists and partner groups around potential attempts to rollback Medicaid, Medicare and SNAP programs and funding.
The NJ-MSA is the NJ chapter of the National Main Street Alliance, a network of small business coalitions in 15 states with over 10,000 members nationwide. Since its inception in August 2008, this coalition has successfully influenced the federal policy debate over health care reform as well as the debate on how reform is implemented in New Jersey. The coalition played a critical role in the passage of a minimum wage increase by ballot in New Jersey in 2014 and passage of paid sick days ordinances in 13 New Jersey towns, and the recent passage of the statewide paid sick days law. The coalition has also worked to bring the small business voice to issues such as financial reform, responsible taxes, clean energy, job creation, and economic recovery.
Through personal stories, surveys and reports — the NJ Main Street Alliance is dedicated to advancing policies that work for small business, their employees, families, and communities. NJ-MSA members have been featured on television networks such as MSNBC and CNN, in dozens of newspapers including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, have testified before the New Jersey Legislature in Trenton and before Congress in Washington, DC and have been invited to meet with White House staff on several occasions.
- Recruit small business owners to support and mobilize around issue campaigns and to join the NJ-MSA.
- Train and mobilize small business owners to engage in campaign activities including advocacy meetings with policy makers, media events, testifying before the Legislature and more.
- Organize petition drives, media events, social media campaigns, direct advocacy meetings and more with the members of the NJ-MSA.
- Produce educational and advocacy materials such as fact sheets, email alerts, web and social media content, media releases, Op-Eds, talking points, and more.
- Organize and facilitate Steering Committee meetings, Membership meetings and other events including trainings, strategy sessions, fundraising events and more.
- Assist in developing new campaigns on pressing state issues and assist with organization operations and development including fundraising.
- Organizer will also work with NJCA organizer team on community and grassroots efforts to defend the ACA, Medicaid and Medicare and SNAP.
- 3 years experience as an organizer or in advocacy campaigns
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of people; strong commitment to diversity
- Must have a car and valid Drivers’ License
- Ability to innovate and take responsibility
Positions based in Newark or Highland Park available.
New Jersey Citizen Action is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, gender identification, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Attractive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and any relevant work material to:
Dena Mottola Jaborska
New Jersey Citizen Action