Details: Salary commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
ABOUT COMPASS (www.compassprobono.org)
Compass is an innovative nonprofit that operates as a management consulting firm to support other nonprofits. Compass recruits professionals from top tier companies, consulting firms and law firms, as well as MBA alumni from top business schools, to volunteer in the nonprofit sector through strategic consulting services and a board matching program. Compass engages over 500 professionals each year with approximately 100 nonprofits across Washington DC, Philadelphia and Chicago, with the largest program located in DC. Nearly all Compass revenue comes through charitable giving from companies, foundations and individuals. Because of their ability to leverage volunteers, every dollar that is donated generates $9 worth of consulting services.
Led by President, Suzanne Laporte, and championed by a high-profile, engaged Board of Directors, Compass is well-positioned to continue its efforts to bolster the nonprofit communities it serves. The Compass headquarters in DC, where this position is based, is a friendly, warm and intellectual environment with an impressive and accomplished group of staff members.
The Director of Development (DoD) position is an exciting opportunity for a motivated, savvy individual to achieve fundraising success inside one of the region’s most accomplished capacity building nonprofits. This senior leader will support Compass’ growth and innovations, including the newly created Sorkin Center, to serve the nonprofit sector. The DoD reports to the President and partners with the Board of Directors and key volunteers to generate funds for annual operations and special projects.
The DoD will be responsible for the following:
Development Planning, Reporting and Infrastructure:
· Strategically design, implement and manage the annual development plan and timeline for DC
· Provide fundraising strategy and guidance for Philadelphia and Chicago (direct fundraising managed by staff in those markets)
· Create a detailed annual development budget
· Report regularly to the staff and Board leadership on fundraising progress against goals, pipeline activity and other pertinent developments
· Spearhead the development of the annual report
· Design and build systems and processes necessary to support the entrepreneurial, fast-paced and critical work of Compass
· Serve as the lead strategist in developing donor and prospect cultivation, solicitation and stewardship moves to strengthen donor engagement and increase charitable revenue year over year
· Steward and grow the annual fund donor base through mail and email efforts
· Leverage Compass’ donors and their networks to fundraise for special projects, including the Sorkin Center
· Develop a mid and major donor program and engage a portfolio of those donors to invest in Compass
· Form and maintain relationships with Compass’ corporate and foundation partners
· Work with Compass’ professionals to secure matching funds and volunteerism grants
· Continually conduct research to identify new donor prospects
· Manage the grant calendar and proposal strategy while overseeing the grants consultant in writing
· Manage gift entry (Compass has Salesforce) and acknowledgement process while overseeing the support staff in related functions
· Serve as an experienced philanthropic voice in leadership conversations and strategy sessions
· Develop and maintain relationships with the Board of Directors and other key volunteer leaders
· Creatively engage Board members to leverage their networks in support of fundraising efforts
· Serve as the liaison to the Board’s Development Committee
Perform other related duties as requested.
CANDIDATE CHARACTERISTICS & QUALIFICATIONS
· Excited about the mission of Compass, its professionals and nonprofit partners
· Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred) and 6+ years of direct fundraising experience in the nonprofit sector
· Polished, entrepreneurial, confident and organized self-starter
· Able to demonstrate impressive “fundraising smarts” within the broad scope of development
· A successful track record of raising gifts from a variety of sources
· Experience working collaboratively and effectively with staff, Board members, donors and volunteers
· Experienced and interested in engaging with senior corporate professionals
· Superb interpersonal, verbal, writing and presentation skills
· Sense of humor and flexibility are essential
Compass offers health insurance, disability insurance, 12 annual holidays, as well as vacation, sick and personal days.
Level of Language Proficiency
Ideal candidate must be completely comfortable with spoken and written English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Compass Director of Development” in the subject line. Please submit all materials by July 6, 2018 for full consideration.